Eliminate All Sources of Standing Water
Mosquitoes lay their eggs in standing water. One mosquito can lay 300 eggs in one capful of water. The eggs can develop in any standing water that lasts more than four days.
Eliminate any standing water that collects around your household.
How to protect your living space or property
- Repair leaky outdoor pipes and faucets.
- Make sure that doors and windows have tight-fitting screens. Repair or replace all screens that have tears or holes
- Keep grass and bushes trimmed.
- Dispose of containers such as tin cans, old tires, plastic containers, bottles, cups, caps, or anything else that may hold water.
- Clean and chlorinate swimming pools, outdoor saunas and hot tubs. If not in use, drain water completely and cover tightly to avoid water pooling.
- Drain water from pool covers.
- Change the water in birdbaths every 3 to 4 days. Clean with detergent every two weeks.
- Change water in vases holding flowers or cuttings twice each week. Consider placing cuttings in sand instead of water.
- Turn over plastic wading pools and wheelbarrows when not in use.
- Store boats so they will not collect water, by turning them over or covering with a tarp or boat cover.
- Fill in low areas on lawns.
- Fill in or cover gaps or cavities in the yard, such as around the bases of flagpoles, bird feeders or pipes.
- Remind neighbors to eliminate standing water where mosquitoes may breed on their property and offer assistance as appropriate.
- Some local hardware stores may carry a product called Mosquito Dunks® that contains a larvicide – Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis (BTI) – for use in areas of standing water around the home that cannot be eliminated. BTI may not be suitable in all situations.
- Zodiac Pre-Strike® with Methoprene is another larvicide that local hardware or pet stores may carry for use in birdbaths, water gardens, and other water-holding receptacles.
If these products are purchased for home use, we recommend careful reading of the label, directions for use, and the details regarding storage and handling.