Abraham Lincoln Veteran Champion Award
The Abraham Lincoln Veteran Champion Award (previously the Veteran of the Month award) highlights and honors the work of Illinois veterans whose contributions in service to the veteran community and their local communities are truly above and beyond. Nominees are evaluated on the basis of their leadership, dedication, innovation, and impact in serving these communities. Award recipients are those whose efforts add to the powerful narrative that veterans are dedicated, lifelong public servants from whose efforts all of Illinois’ communities stand to benefit. In contributing to this narrative through their service to veteran and local communities, Veteran Champion Award recipients not only impact the lives of those they serve, but also the overall advocacy effort for Illinois veterans.
Previous Veteran of the Month Recipients
1. The nominee must reside in Illinois and must have received an honorable discharge from the U.S. military.
2. Posthumous nominations will be accepted provided that a family member of the deceased nominee signs under “Signature of Nominee” on the Abraham Lincoln Veteran Champion Award Nomination Form.
3. Honorees will be recognized for significant public service contributions made at the local, state or national level and by excellence achieved through action above and beyond the call of duty. Nominees should also have made significant contributions in volunteer work in support of veterans and/or the military.
4. The nominator needs to provide a legible and up-to-date copy of the veteran’s DD214. Failure to provide record of service documentation will render the nomination ineligible.
5. In addition to the DD214 and the information requested on the nomination form, please provide a written summary of the nominee’s achievements, including: (a) a description of significant accomplishments, including dates, (b) information concerning military service, and (c) a list of military awards and decorations received by the nominee. In order to validate these accomplishments, please include/attach documentation that will substantiate the nominee’s service and accomplishments (i.e. news articles, relevant online biographies and/or copies of commendations, etc.).
6. The nominator must also provide a description of their association and/or working relationship with the nominee.
7. Nominations will be evaluated on the scope and impact of a nominees achievements and the extent to which his/her efforts benefit and provide inspiration to their community and other veterans. Please document significant achievements and accomplishments, especially those made after the nominee’s military service.
8. Nominations will be reviewed and the recipients will be ultimately chosen by the Illinois Department of Veterans’ Affairs. Nominations are accepted at all times throughout the year.
9. Nominations should be sent to:
Illinois Department of Veterans’ Affairs
Attn: Abraham Lincoln Veteran Champion Award
100 West Randolph St., Suite 5-570
Chicago, IL 60601-3219
Fax Number: (312) 814-2764
Abraham Lincoln Veteran Champion Award Forms
Adobe's Acrobat Reader is required to view documents provided in PDF format.
Governor’s Award for Excellence in Veteran Education
The Award for Excellence in Veteran Education highlights the work of Illinois colleges and universities whose veterans’ services go above and beyond basic services, and whose accomplishments in veteran-friendly programs significantly impact the overall experience of the student veteran community. During Spring and Fall semesters, on behalf of Governor Pat Quinn, Illinois Department of Veterans' Affairs Director Erica Borggren will recognize a different college or university.
Previous Award Recipients
- The nominated school must be a licensed, degree granting school in the state of Illinois.
- Nominees will be evaluated based on significant service to student veterans, as well as by excellence achieved through action above and beyond basic services.
- In addition to information requested on the nomination form, please complete the school survey as well as provide a brief narrative of the school’s achievements; to include: (a) a description of significant accomplishments in veteran-friendly programs, including dates, (b) a list of awards or recognitions from the veteran and/or military community.
- Nominations will be evaluated on the scope and impact of a nominees’ achievements on behalf of veterans and the extent to which the school’s efforts benefit and provide inspiration, support, and opportunities to student veterans and their families.
- Nominations will be reviewed and recipients selected by the Illinois Department of Veterans' Affairs. Nominations are accepted at all times throughout the year and each nomination will remain active until the completion of the Academic Year in which the nomination was submitted.
- Governor’s Award for Excellence in Veteran Education will be awarded during the spring and fall semesters.
Nominations should be submitted to:
Illinois Department of Veterans' Affairs
Attn: Governor's Award for Excellence in Veteran Education
100 West Randolph, Suite 5-570
Chicago, IL 60601-3219
Excellence in Education Forms