In response to the Illinois High Speed Internet Services and Information Technology Act (Public Act 95-684), the Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity contracted with the Partnership for a Connected Illinois (Connect Illinois) to assist qualified Illinois ARRA applicants and develop a map of the state's broadband availability.
Connect Illinois' goals include:
- Ensuring access to affordable and reliable broadband;
- Improving computer literacy, ownership, and broadband use;
- Improving technology use across community sectors; and
- Sustaining an environment that facilitates technology investment.
In pursuing these goals, Connect Illinois will work with the State to:
- Identify, apply for, and implement federal grants.
- Create a geographic inventory of high speed Internet and other relevant IT services.
- Build local technology planning teams to benchmark technology use across community sectors, set goals and make plans for improvement.
- Track, and identify barriers to, high speed Internet, computer, and related IT adoption.
- Encourage deployment and use by creating market intelligence to improve the business case for providers to deploy.
- Increase computer ownership and broadband access for disenfranchised populations.
- Raise funds other than the grants received from the DCEO to implement the above goals.