Notice Regarding CCHP and CCDP Claim Payment Delay
Specific questions or concerns regarding a claim payment? Contact CMS Benefits Group Insurance at: CMS.WebsiteBenefits@illinois.gov.
College Insurance Program (CIP) Benefit Plans
Notice Regarding CCHP and CCDP Claim Payment Delay: The Department of Central Management Services administers the College Insurance Program (CIP) as set forth in the State Employees Group Insurance Act of 1971. As a benefit recipient of the State Universities Retirement System (SURS), health and dental benefits are a very important part of your compensation package. The College Choice Health and Dental Plans are self-insured plans with funding provided through the Community College Health Insurance Security Fund (Fund).
For some time, revenues received into the Fund have been insufficient to cover the liabilities of the fund. Changes to program design and member contributions have been unable to overcome this insufficiency. At this time, funds remain insufficient to pay claims on a normal schedule, and we cannot estimate when a regular payment schedule will resume. Claim payments will be released according to the claim process date and available funding. CIGNA, the claims administrator, continues to process claims in a timely manner, but release of claims must be held until revenue is available. Late payment interest is paid to healthcare providers on health claims that take longer than 30 days from the receipt of a complete claim submission to pay. We continue to keep you apprised on the length of this delay and make the following recommendations:
- Health plan claims: Pay your member portion after you receive the explanation of benefits or upon receipt of services
- Health plan claims: Always utilize CCHP providers, if possible.
- Health plan claims: If utilizing a non-CCHP provider, ask the provider to accept the delayed claim payment or set up a payment plan.
- Dental claims: Pay your member portion upon receipt of services.
- Dental claims: Work with the provider to accept the delayed claim payment or set up a payment plan.
- Dental claims: If the full amount must be paid, submit a paper claim form to the claims administrator as soon as possible to minimize the delay in processing the claim.
College Choice Health Plan (CCHP) claims processed through 06/20/2014 have been released.
Dental claims under Delta Dental are being processed based on whether they were incurred at a network or non-network dentist. Please see the payment release schedule on Delta Dental's website
Updates regarding the length of the delay and the current release dates will be posted to this website as they are available.
Originally Posted: 02/20/2010