Skip to Main Content
Accountability. Efficiency. Service.


  1. CMS
  2. Employee Services
  3. Benefits
  4. State Employee Benefits

FSA Payment Card 


What is the FSA payment card?

The FSA payment card is a stored-value card. It is a convenient Medical Expense FSA reimbursement option in which funds are electronically deducted from your Medical Expense FSA.

Is there anything I need to do before using the FSA payment card?

You must activate the FSA payment card before you can use it for the first time. To activate your card, simply call the toll-free number found on the sticker attached to the front of your FSA payment card. Please also remember to sign the back of your FSA payment card before you use it for the first time. The card may also be activated on FBMC’s website. Simply login to, and click on 'State of Illinois'. You will be directed to your account home page. On this screen, click 'Click here to activate your myFBMC Visa Card,' then follow the instructions.

Where do I send my itemized documentation?

You may fax your itemized documentation, along with an FSA Claim Form [PDF 181 KB] to: FBMC at 850-514-5817 of fax toll-free at 866-440-7152.

What happens if I do not send my itemized receipts to FBMC?

If you fail to send in the requested documentation for an FSA payment card expense after two notifications on your monthly statement, you will be subject to:

  • withholding of payment for an eligible paper claim to offset any outstanding FSA payment card transaction
  • suspension of your FSA payment card privileges
  • involuntary withholding for the amount of any outstanding FSA payment card transactions (as permitted by law).

When do I send my documentation to FBMC?

There are two ways to verify if documentation is required:

  1. Check your Card Transactions under the FSA payment card tab on the FBMC Web site. If you see transactions in red, please click on the magnifying glass to determine what action is needed.
  2. As an FSA participant, you will also receive a Monthly Statement from FBMC. Your statement will include a blue Outstanding FSA Payment Card Transaction section. If a transaction appears in this section, you must submit documentation to FBMC for those expenses. Monthly Statements can also be viewed on the FBMC Web site.


What type of documentation do I need to submit for reimbursement?

For substantiation, you should always submit itemized statements and/or bills (eg: an Explanation of Benefits). Documentation must include: patient name, type of service, date of service, provider name and total amount (who, what, when, where and how much). If the transaction is for a dental procedure, login to and print your claim information for the documentation.

Is this a credit card?

No. The FSA payment card is an FSA stored-value card, not a credit card. The maximum amount of funds stored and available on your FSA payment card for any given plan year is equal to the full, annualized amount of your Medical Expense FSA contribution. This amount is "stored" and available to you the first day of the plan year.

Can I use my FSA payment card to pay for all doctor visits?

Your FSA payment card can be used at your doctor, dentist and ophthalmologist or optometrist offices for co-pays, deductibles and any qualified amounts not covered by insurance. It uses Visa® technology, so as long as your healthcare facility accepts Visa® and you have an available balance (annualized amount less any reimbursements) in your account to cover your expense, your card will be accepted.

Can I use my card to pay for other expenses?

The FSA payment card is not intended as a substitute for your existing credit cards. Your FSA payment card is restricted to use for eligible services and purchases associated with your Medical Expense Flexible Spending Account, as governed by IRS regulations.

I have some services that require a letter of medical need.  Can I still use my card?

When receiving products and services from your health provider that require a letter of medical need, secure the letter and submit along with your FSA Claim Form [PDF 181 KB] and documentation.  Although your transaction will be accepted at the point of sale (as long as you have not exceeded your annualized contribution limit), it is deducted from your account and could be subject to payback if your letter and documentation are not submitted.

What should I do if I mistakenly use my FSA payment card for an ineligible expense?

You must immediately repay the amount. This can be done by sending a personal check, made out to the State of Illinois or to FBMC, or, you can submit a paper claim for another eligible expense to FBMC requesting them to substitute the paper claim for the ineligible transaction (check box ‘C’ on the form for this option). Remember to use your card responsibly for eligible medical, vision and dental expenses ONLY. Otherwise, you risk having your FSA payment card access suspended.

Note: As you know, compliance with plan guidelines is very important. FBMC must diligently monitor and adjudicate claims in strict compliance with IRS regulations. Failure on your part to resolve ineligible claims will result in involuntary withholding from any State income you may receive. If you have questions about eligible or ineligible expenses, see your plan materials for details.

Will my dependents be able to use the card?

Yes, your dependents can use the FSA payment card. For your convenience, we will send you two cards automatically for use by your dependent or spouse. The additional card is free of charge.

Does the card replace my health ID card?

Your FSA payment card is a means of payment for out-of-pocket expenses; it does not replace your health ID card. Continue to carry your health card to identify your type of insurance.

What do I do if the merchant/provider does not accept my card?

If your provider does not accept Visa® or if your expense is greater than your available balance, pay for your service or purchase by cash, check or credit card. Then submit a paper claim with the appropriate accompanying documentation. Your claim will be processed and eligible expenses will be reimbursed to you by check or through direct deposit, if enrolled.

Toward the end of the plan year my medical expense may be greater than my available FSA balance - will my card transaction be affected?

Yes. If your expense is greater than the balance remaining in your account, the transaction will be rejected. Currently the technology does not accommodate a partial payment. When this occurs, simply pay with a credit card, check or cash and submit your expense as a paper claim.

How can I track my account information?

You may access your account information, 24 hours a day, at FBMC's Web site: In addition, your account information will appear on your FSA reimbursement check stub and your monthly FSA statement.

What happens to my card if I leave employment?

Your FSA payment card will be suspended on the date of your termination from employment.

If you made arrangements to continue your FSA following termination, you may submit claims incurred during the remainder of the plan year using the traditional method (properly completed claim form with accompanying documentation).

What happens to my card if I go on a leave of absence?

If your payroll deductions are going to cease due to going on a leave of absence, you may make arrangements to continue your MCAP deductions while on leave through the MCAP COBRA option. When deductions continue uninterrupted, you may continue to incur expenses and use your FSA payment card. If you elect not to continue payments through the MCAP COBRA option, your FSA payment card will be suspended and any expenses incurred on or after the date of the leave of absence will not be eligible for reimbursement.

Note: September 30th is the final date when claims may be submitted for reimbursement.

Will I receive a new card and account number each year?

As long as you remain actively employed and enroll in a Medical Flexible Spending Account with each successive plan year, you will keep the same FSA payment card account number. Your FSA payment card will be replaced every three years or upon request if your card is damaged or lost.

When I receive my card will I have to sign anything? What if I don't like the terms and conditions of this card?

When you receive your card, you will also receive a cardholders' agreement. As with all legal documents, you should read the terms and conditions carefully. By activating and signing the back of your card, you accept the terms and conditions of the agreement - there is nothing else to sign. It is always your choice to accept and then use your card.

What are some eligible medical service providers?

  • Ambulance Services
  • Medical, Dental, Ophthalmic and Hospital Equipment/Supplies
  • Hearing Aid Sales, Services and Supplies
  • Orthopedic Goods - Prosthetic Devices
  • Counseling Services (related to medical care)
  • Doctors and Physicians
  • Dentists and Orthodontists
  • Osteopaths
  • Chiropractors
  • Optometrists and Ophthalmologists
  • Opticians, Optical Goods and Eyeglasses
  • Podiatrists and Chiropodists
  • Nursing and Personal Care Facilities
  • Hospitals
  • Medical and Dental Laboratories
  • Medical Services and Health Practitioners

The specific service provided must meet all eligibility requirements for Medical FSA reimbursement. Some services may require a medical needs letter. Eligible medical service providers must accept Visa and have a valid merchant identification code. Specific IRS regulations apply. See your enrollment materials for details.

I currently have a Medical Expense Flexible Spending Account and I already have a credit card to pay my expenses. Why do I need this card?

You can use your credit card to pay for medical expenses, but only the FSA payment card gives you immediate access to your Medical Expense FSA funds.

When you use the FSA payment card, you need only send your itemized documentation along with an FSA Claim Form [PDF 181 KB] to FBMC for any transactions shown in BLUE on your monthly statements (or RED on the FBMC Web site).

Your expense is automatically sent to FBMC, so you won't forget about submitting it and risk forfeiting dollars at the end of the plan year. You have no monthly bill or possible interest to pay as you would if your expense or service was charged on a credit card.

How do I use this card?

You may use this card to pay for prescriptions, eligible over-the-counter items and/or eligible medical services. To pay for all goods and services, present your card as a form of payment. The transaction will be performed like a credit card and the funds will be taken directly from your Medical Expense FSA. This means no out-of-pocket expenses for you.

How do I know which providers accept the card?

Any healthcare provider or drugstore displaying the Visa® logo will accept your card. Check with your provider(s) to be certain.

Can I purchase Over-the-Counter Drugs (OTC) at my drugstore?

Yes, you may purchase eligible OTC at a drugstore. Please refer to a partial list of accepted OTC items on the FBMC website. Please note that effective January 1, 2011, over-the-counter medicines and drugs will require a prescription in order to be eligible for reimbursement. You will not be able to use your FSA payment card for these items.

May I use my card for Mail Order Drugs?

Yes, you may use your FSA payment card for the purchase of mail order prescriptions, as long as the mail order pharmacy is through one of your health plans. Mail Order purchases will not require any follow up substantiation. Your transaction is totally paperless! Review your enrollment materials for SPECIFIC uses of your card.

How do I move my prescription to either a drugstore or Walgreens?

It’s easy. The next time you need to refill your prescription, simply take your pill bottle to the drugstore or Walgreens (or call them with the Rx info) and they will move the prescription for you.

My FSA statement shows some transactions with “payback via auto substitute”. What does that mean?

Payback via auto substitute means that the IRS requires documentation of all Flexible Spending Account transactions. FBMC will continue to notify you in writing (by monthly statements) that documentation is needed/required to validate your debit card transactions (e.g. original receipt, substitute receipts, a Letter of Medical Need, payments, etc.). For your convenience, FBMC will apply approved paper claim requests to any outstanding debit card transactions. After receiving and processing approved debit card receipts, a payment will be made to you representing the difference between the approved paper claim(s) and any outstanding debit card transactions (if applicable).

What is IIAS?

IIAS = Inventory Information Approval System

  • Transactions presented to the FBMC claims system from a merchant who utilizes an IIAS system will be automatically adjudicated in FBMC's system since the purchase was adjudicated at the point of sale.
  • See the example below of how the IIAS system works:
    1. A customer takes a bottle of aspirin, a prescription and a magazine to the register and swipes their FSA payment card (each item worth $5.00);
    2. The IIAS system recognizes their FSA payment card and enacts “FSA” rules;
    3. The IIAS automatically approves the purchase for the aspirin and the prescription on their FSA payment card (total of $10) and requests the cashier to ask the customer for another form of payment for the cost of the magazine;
    4. The customer gives another form of payment for the last $5.00 they owe.

How does the MCAP Grace Period affect my card?

The State of Illinois has elected to utilize an MCAP Grace Period which allows a participant to use up any MCAP funds that are unused from the previous plan year. These funds are only available within the first 2-1/2 months of the new plan year.

Beginning with the FY11 plan year, any unused funds from the previous plan year will be combined with the FY11 available funds and must be used prior to the September 15th Grace Period cut-off date. Any unused funds from the previous plan year must be claimed by September 30th and submitted via paper claim form.

Note: All reimbursement requests are paid on a ‘First In, First Out’ basis. For example, if a participant has $200 remaining in their FY10 account on July 1st, and they swipe their myFBMC card on July 15th for $200, the FY10 plan year’s account balance will be exhausted. If that participant submits a paper claim on July 16th for a June 1st, 2010, expense, that paper claim would be denied since the FY10 account balance is $0.00.

How do I report my card lost or stolen, or request a replacement for a damaged card?

If your card is lost, stolen or damaged, you can call 1-800-689-0821 to report the lost/stolen card, or request a new card. The department is available to take your call 24 hours a day.