The Department of Central Management Services (CMS) has awarded contracts to the winning vendors of the following Medicare Advantage plan options for members of the Teachers’ Retirement Insurance Program (TRIP):
- Aetna Life Insurance Company/Coventry Advantra - a Medicare Advantage HMO Plan;
- Health Alliance MAPD - a Medicare Advantage HMO Plan;
- Humana Health Plan - a Medicare Advantage HMO Plan;
- Humana Benefit Plan - a Medicare Advantage HMO Plan for the counties of Livingston and Knox; and
- UnitedHealthcare - a nationwide Medicare Advantage PPO Plan
The enrollment period for the Medicare Advantage plans has been set for October 15 through November 15, 2014. The effective date of the new plan will be January 1, 2015. In order to be included in the group who will be offered one of the Medicare Advantage plans, members must meet BOTH of the following criteria:
- The member must be enrolled in Medicare Parts A and B, AND
- If the member has dependents on his/her coverage, ALL of the covered dependents must also be enrolled in both Medicare Part A and B.
- If the member has a dependent on his/her coverage who is not enrolled in Medicare Parts A and B, the member will not be included in the group of members set to be offered a Medicare Advantage plan. The member and dependents will all remain in the current health plan.
- If the member RESIDES outside of the United States or the U.S. Territories, the member will not be included in the group set to be offered a Medicare Advantage plan. The member will remain in the current health plan.
- The cut-off date for the enrollment period this fall is set for members who are enrolled in Medicare on or before September 30, 2014. Members who turned 65 years of age on October 1, 2014, were included in the enrollment period this fall since their Medicare became effective prior to September 30, 2014. Members who turn 65 October 2, 2014, or after will remain in their current health plan until January 2016.