Governor's Travel Control Board Meeting Minutes for August 31, 2009 [PDF, 118KB]
GOVERNOR'S TRAVEL CONTROL BOARD
Meeting of the Board
August 31, 2009
James R. Thompson Center
100 West Randolph Street
Chicago, Illinois 60601
William G. Stratton Building
401 Spring Street
Springfield, Illinois 62706
- Chairman James P. Sledge
- Simone McNeil
- Michael Wortham
- Jay Brown
- Sean Connolly, Legal Counsel
- Kelley Shaw, State Travel Coordinator
- Call to Order
On August 31, 2009 at approximately 10:00 a.m., Chairman James P. Sledge called to order a meeting of the Governor's Travel Control Board.
- Consideration of Minutes
June 30, 2009
The minutes of the meeting of June 30, 2009 were approved. Motion made by Michael Wortham, with a second by Simone McNeil to approve the minutes as submitted. Motion carried 2-0.
- New Business
Legislative Audit Commission Report
The Board reviewed and approved the FY09 3rd Quarter Exception Report to be sent to the Legislative Audit Commission.
- Approved Travel Exceptions
- State employee traveled to Springfield during the State Fair. Was unable to receive a state rate on lodging and travel, paid $66.08 above rate for lodging and $14.00 above rate for travel on Amtrak.
- State employee traveled to Chicago and was informed that a project was not fully prepared. Employee returned to Springfield and was assessed a $57.70 early departure lodging fee.
- State employees assumed the lease for an apartment in Springfield in March 2009. Requested claim reimbursement of Employee Owned or Controlled Housing for the months of March, April, May, and June 2009; totaling $1,850.00 each.
- State employee had to travel on Amtrak on a Sunday. Because Amtrak does not offer the state rate on Sundays they paid $32.00 above rate.
- State employee traveled to Ohio on state business. Was responsible for a bag of personal belongings as well as 3 bags of informational material for a conference. Was charged $20.00 a bag, totaling $80.00.
- State employees were charged a conference rate instead of the state rate at a hotel in Springfield. Paid $23.52 over the state rate.
- State employee finished scheduled work in Springfield early and returned to Chicago, incurring a $45.00 early departure lodging fee.
- State employee was asked to stay an extra day in Chicago. Was unable to secure the state rate and paid $219.00 for a hotel room.
- State employee was scheduled to travel out of the country. Employee was asked not to travel but could not cancel reservations in time to avoid a lodging cancellation fee of $795.14. Was also charged an airline change fee of $250.00. Requested $1045.14 in total reimbursement.
- State employee traveling in Kentucky was asked to return to Springfield early and was assessed an airline change fee of $159.10.
- Denied Travel Exceptions
- State employee's schedule changed and they did not travel to Springfield and did not cancel their hotel reservation. Employee was charged a "No Show" fee of $78.40. This exception request was an appeal to the Board's initial denial of this claim at the June 30, 2009 meeting.
- State employee incurred a towing charge of $170.00 while on state business.
- State employee could not provide proper state identification to Amtrak and was not allowed the state rate. Paid $64.00 over rate.
- Board Requests More Information
- State employee incurred a change fee due to an error on their original travel booking.
The Meeting was adjourned at 11:15 a.m. Motion made by Simone McNeil, with a second by Michael Wortham. Motion carried 2-0.
Sean P. Connolly