Following are instructions on how to file a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request with our office:
- Please make your request for records in writing. We do not require the completion of a standard form for this purpose. You may submit your written request by mail, fax or e-mail. Please direct your request to:
Attn: FOIA Officer
Executive Ethics Commission
401 S. Spring Street
513 Stratton Office Building
Springfield, IL 62706
Fax: (217) 558-1399
- Please be as specific as possible when describing the records you are seeking. Remember, the Freedom of Information Act is designed to allow you to inspect or receive copies of records. It is not designed to require a public body to answer questions.
- Please tell us whether you would like copies of the requested records, or whether you wish to examine the records in person. You have the right to either option.
- There is no fee for up to 50 pages of standard black and white paper copies. For pages beyond 50, there is a .15-cent-per-page charge. Charges may differ for color copies or copies that are not a standard size (i.e., 8 ½ x 11, 11x14). We will provide electronic copies when available and an additional charge may apply.
- You are permitted to ask for a waiver of copying fees. To do so, please include the following statement (or a similar statement) in your written FOIA request: “I request a waiver of all fees associated with this request.” In addition, you must include a specific explanation as to why your request for information is in the public interest—not simply your personal interest—and merits a fee waiver.
- Please include your name, preferred telephone number(s), mailing address, and, if you wish, your electronic mail address.
- We must respond to your request within 5 business days. If necessary to meet the request, we may extend the time to respond by an additional 5 days. If the request is for commercial purposes, you must disclose that fact. We have 21 business days to respond to commercial requests.
For additional information on the Freedom of Information Act or the FOIA process, please visit http://foia.ilattorneygeneral.net/Default.aspx.