Governor Bruce Rauner has appointed Felicia F. Norwood, 55, as Director to the Illinois Department of Healthcare and Family Services. Norwood brings more than twenty years of experience in health care policy, health business operations and health care delivery to the position.
Norwood has spent large portions of her career working for the insurance company, Aetna. Most recently, was the President of the Mid-America region, overseeing a budget of more than $6 billion. She began her career at Aetna as a Government Relations Counsel, where she analyzed and drafted legislation related to health care. From 2006 to 2010, Norwood stepped away from Aetna to become the CEO, President and COO of ActiveHealth Management.
This is not the first time, however, that Norwood has worked in state government. She was a Senior Policy Advisory on Health and Human Services to Governor Edgar, where she led health care reform initiatives, and chaired the Governor’s Human Services Cabinet. She also served as a Policy Adviser on Human Services to Governor Thompson, where she developed and implemented policies on children and family services, public health and mental health.
Norwood earned her law degree from Yale Law School, a master’s degree in Political Science from the University of Wisconsin, and her bachelor’s degree in Political Science from Valdosta State University in Georgia.
- Aetna, Inc.
- President, Mid-America Region (2010-2013)
- ActiveHealth Management; CEO, President and COO (2006-2010)
- Aetna, Inc., Chicago, IL
- Head of Medicaid (2005-2006)
- National Head of Small Group & Individual Market Segments (2003-2005)
- Aetna, Inc., Hartford, CT (2001-2002)
- Aetna, Inc., King of Prussia, PA (2000-2001)
- Aetna U.S. Healthcare
- Market President (1999-2000)
- Regional General Counsel (1997-1999)
- Government Relations Counsel (1994-1997)
- Office of the Governor, Policy Adviser for Health and Human Services (1991-1994)
- Hopkins & Sutter, Attorney (1989-1991)
- Office of the Governor, Policy Adviser for Human Services (1983-1986)
- Executive Leadership Council, Co-Chair-Community Impact Committee
- Jim Edgar Leadership Initiative, Advisory Board
- Yale Law School Fund, Board Member
- Yale Law School, J.D.
- University of Wisconsin, M.A. Political Science
- Valdosta State University, B.A. Political Science
- Age: 55
- Hometown: Chicago