How to File a Freedom of Information Act Request
THE ILLINOIS OFFICE OF THE LIEUTENANT GOVERNOR
The following information are instructions on how to file a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request with the Illinois Office of the Lieutenant Governor:
1. Please make your request in writing. The Office of the Lieutenant Governor does not require the completion of a standard form for this purpose. You may submit your written request by mail, fax, or email. Please direct your request to:
FOIA Officer—Elizabeth Griffen Harvey
Office of the Illinois Lieutenant Governor
214 State House
Springfield, IL 62706
Fax: (217) 558-3094
2. Please be as specific as possible when describing the records you are seeking. Remember, the Freedom of Information Act is designed to allow you to inspect or receive copies of records. It is not designed to require a public body to answer questions. To the extent that you wish to ask questions of a representative of the Office of the Lieutenant Governor, you may call our Springfield Office at (217) 558-3085, our Chicago Office at (312) 814-5240, or our Carbondale Office at (618) 529-6452, to be directed to the proper person.
Freedom of Information Act Request to the Office of the Lieutenant Governor.pdf
Brief Description and List of Records Immediately Available.pdf
3. Please tell us if you would like copies of the requested records, or whether you wish to examine the records in person. You have the right to either option.
4. There is no fee for up to 50 pages of standard paper copies. For pages beyond 50 pages, there is a 15 cent per page charge.
5. You are permitted to ask for a waiver of copying fees. To do so, please include the following statement (or a similar statement) in your written FOIA request: “I request a waiver of all fees associated with this request.” In addition, you must include a specific explanation as to why your request for information is in the public interest—not simply your personal interest—and merits a fee waiver.
6. Please include your name, preferred telephone number(s), mailing address, and, if you wish, your electronic mail address.