Veteran of the Month
The Veteran of the Month award program highlights and honors the work of Illinois veterans whose contributions in service to the veteran community and their local communities are truly above and beyond. Nominees are evaluated on the basis of their leadership, dedication, innovation, and impact in serving these communities. Award recipients are those whose efforts add to the powerful narrative that veterans are dedicated, lifelong public servants from whose efforts all of Illinois’ communities stand to benefit. In contributing to this narrative through their service to veteran and local communities, Veterans of the Month not only impact the lives of those they serve, but also the overall advocacy effort for Illinois veterans.
Previous Veteran of the Month Recipients
1. The nominee must
reside in Illinois and must have received an honorable discharge from the U.S.
2. Honorees will be
recognized for significant public service contributions made at the local,
state or national level and by excellence achieved through action above and
beyond the call of duty. Nominees should also have made significant
contributions in volunteer work in support of veterans and/or the military.
3. The nominator needs
to provide a legible and up-to-date copy of the Veteran’s DD214. Failure
to provide record of service documentation will render the nomination
4. In addition to the
DD214 and the information requested on the nomination form, please provide a
written summary of the nominee’s achievements, including: (a) a description of
significant accomplishments, including dates, (b) information concerning
military service, and (c) a list of military awards and decorations received by
the nominee. In order to validate these accomplishments, please include/attach
documentation that will substantiate the nominee’s service and accomplishments
(i.e. news articles, relevant online biographies and/or copies of
5. The nominator must
also provide a description of their association and/or working relationship
with the nominee.
6. Nominations will be
evaluated on the scope and impact of a nominees achievements and the extent to
which his/her efforts benefit and provide inspiration to their community and
other Veterans. Please document significant achievements and accomplishments, especially
those made after the nominee’s military service.
7. Nominations will be
reviewed and the recipients will be ultimately chosen by the Illinois
Department of Veterans’ Affairs. Nominations are accepted at all times
throughout the year and remain valid for 18 months.
8. Nominations should
be sent to:
Illinois Department of Veterans’ Affairs
Attn: Veteran of the Month
100 West Randolph St., Suite 5-570
Chicago, IL 60601-3219
Fax Number: (312) 814-2764
Veteran of the Month Forms
Adobe's Acrobat Reader is required to view documents provided in PDF format.
Governor’s Award for Excellence in Veteran Education
The Award for Excellence in Veteran Education highlights the work of Illinois colleges and universities whose veterans’ services go above and beyond basic services, and whose accomplishments in veteran-friendly programs significantly impact the overall experience of the student veteran community. During Spring and Fall semesters, on behalf of Governor Pat Quinn, Illinois Department of Veterans' Affairs Director Erica Borggren will recognize a different college or university.
Previous Award Recipients
- The nominated school must be a licensed, degree granting school in the state of Illinois.
- Nominees will be evaluated based on significant service to student veterans, as well as by excellence achieved through action above and beyond basic services.
- In addition to information requested on the nomination form, please complete the school survey as well as provide a brief narrative of the school’s achievements; to include: (a) a description of significant accomplishments in veteran-friendly programs, including dates, (b) a list of awards or recognitions from the veteran and/or military community.
- Nominations will be evaluated on the scope and impact of a nominees’ achievements on behalf of veterans and the extent to which the school’s efforts benefit and provide inspiration, support, and opportunities to student veterans and their families.
- Nominations will be reviewed and recipients selected by the Illinois Department of Veterans' Affairs. Nominations are accepted at all times throughout the year and each nomination will remain active until the completion of the Academic Year in which the nomination was submitted.
- Governor’s Award for Excellence in Veteran Education will be awarded during the spring and fall semesters.
Nominations should be submitted to:
Illinois Department of Veterans' Affairs
Attn: Governor's Award for Excellence in Veteran Education
100 West Randolph, Suite 5-570
Chicago, IL 60601-3219
Excellence in Education Forms