Executive Order Number 09-19 (PDF, 169 KB)
Executive Order Creating the Office of the Public Health Advocate Within the Department of Public Health
WHEREAS, vigorous public health efforts can significantly ameliorate a variety of illnesses, many of which are preventable, treatable, or both; and
WHEREAS, public health programs can lighten the monetary and logistical challenges that burden our already-strained health care delivery system; and
WHEREAS, there presently exist numerous programs throughout state government that can help citizens combat the causes and effects of these problems; and
WHEREAS, coordinating public health efforts in a comprehensive and centralized fashion enables optimal deployment of our public health resources; and
WHEREAS, a new emphasis on coordinating public health efforts should be coupled with a dedication to using tools of mass communication to increase public awareness of federal, state, and local public health resources; and
WHEREAS, as Governor of the State of Illinois, I am committed to streamlining operations of state government by efficiently using all existing state resources; and
THEREFORE, I, Pat Quinn, Governor of the State of Illinois, pursuant to the supreme executive authority of the Governor as set forth in Article V, Section 8 of the Illinois Constitution, do hereby order as follows:
There is hereby created within the Department of Public Health an office to be known as the Office of the Public Health Advocate (hereinafter “Office”) headed by the Public Health Advocate.
The Public Health Advocate will facilitate collaboration among State agencies to centralize, harmonize, and optimize the deployment of existing public health efforts, with a particular emphasis on raising public awareness of the most pressing public health challenges and educating the public on how to combat those challenges. The Public Health Advocate, moreover, will catalogue the public health resources provided by other units of government at the federal and local level, focusing on how to best access and utilize those resources.
The Public Health Advocate shall be appointed by the Governor. The Public Health Advocate serves at the pleasure of the Governor.
POWERS AND DUTIES
The Public Health Advocate, by and through the Office of the Public Health Advocate, shall:
- develop wellness programs to improve public health that incorporate existing public health programs, staff, and resources;
- recommend and facilitate the development of public health strategies designed to prevent, diagnose, treat, and cure:
- Other illnesses or conditions, such as obesity, adversely impacting a significant number of Illinoisans, designated by the Governor;
- assist consumers in understanding public health programs and coverage provisions;
- analyze, monitor, and make publicly available reports on the development and implementation of federal, State, and local laws, regulations, and other governmental policies and actions that pertain to public health programs, facilities, and services;
- conduct, support, and assist in research, surveys, investigations, conferences, projects, and informational activities that promote the interests of health care consumers;
- consult and collaborate with local public health agencies, school districts, health organizations, research and advocacy groups, colleges and universities, and other appropriate entities; and
- manage or oversee any staff persons that may be assigned to the Office at the direction of the Governor, the Director of Public Health, or anyone otherwise deputized to the Office in accordance with an Intergovernmental Agreement; and
- perform any other duties assigned to the Office by the Director of Public Health or by the Governor.
As the mission of the Public Health Advocate is to deploy existing public health resources in the most optimal cost-effective fashion, the Department of Public Health shall implement the provisions of this Executive Order in such a fashion as to minimize the State’s costs in relation to public health expenditures.
In addition to whatever policies or procedures the Governor or the Director may impose, all operations of the Office of the Public Health Advocate shall comply with the provisions of the Freedom of Information Act (5 ILCS 430/1
et. seq.) and the Open Meetings Act (5 ILCS 120/1
et. seq.). This section shall not be construed as precluding other statutes from applying to the Office of the Public Health Advocate and its activities
Nothing in this Executive Order shall be construed to contravene any state or federal law.
If any provision of this Executive Order is found invalid by a court of competent jurisdiction, the remaining provisions shall remain in full force and effect.
This Executive Order shall become effective upon filing with the Secretary of State.
Pat Quinn, Governor
Issued by Governor: November 21, 2009
Filed with Secretary of State: November 23, 2009