Executive Order Number 14-02 (PDF, 186 KB)
Creation of the Small Business Advocate in the Office of the Governor
WHEREAS, Illinois is home to approximately 397,000 small businesses and three out of four employers in Illinois are small businesses;
WHEREAS, a healthy environment for small businesses significantly strengthens the economy of Illinois;
WHEREAS, further steps should be taken to make it easier for small businesses to thrive and to ensure they have a stronger voice in state government and the regulatory process;
WHEREAS, policies, laws, and regulations impacting small businesses can have an impact on innovation, job creation, modernization, expansion, and economic growth;
WHEREAS, examining policies, laws, and regulations with an eye toward the impact on small businesses could increase the vitality of the small business community; and
WHEREAS, as Governor of the State of Illinois, I am committed to creating a business climate that maximizes small businesses’ ability to start and grow;
THEREFORE, I, Pat Quinn, Governor of the State of Illinois, pursuant to the supreme executive authority of the Governor as set forth in Article V, Section 8 of the Illinois Constitution, do hereby order as follows:
There is hereby created within the Office of the Governor a senior level position to be known as the Small Business Advocate.
The Small Business Advocate will serve as a voice and resource for the small business community at the highest levels of state government. The Small Business Advocate will work with, and provide guidance to all agencies regarding how to minimize adverse impacts on small businesses resulting from legislation or rulemaking processes.
The Small Business Advocate shall be hired by the Governor. The Small Business Advocate serves at the pleasure of the Governor.
POWERS AND DUTIES
The Small Business Advocate, by and through the Office of the Governor, shall:
- serve as a voice for small businesses’ interests across state government;
- advise the Governor regarding all issues that impact small businesses;
- promote innovation, expansion, modernization and job creation in the small business sector;
- provide direct assistance to the small business community on issues ranging from regulation to procurement;
- regularly convene and consult with small businesses to share information, gather input and address the community’s concerns;
- simplify and streamline information available to small businesses regarding regulations, grants and incentives, and other valuable resources that can be used to help businesses start and grow;
- work with all agencies to reduce red tape and streamline regulations impacting small businesses;
- provide guidance to state agencies regarding how to minimize adverse impacts on small businesses resulting from the legislative or rulemaking process;
- provide independent testimony on small business impacts of rules or legislation;
- coordinate with the Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity’s Small Business Office to ensure agencies’ compliance with the Regulatory Flexibility Act (5 U.S.C. 601
et seq.) and the Business Assistance and Regulatory Reform Act (20 ILCS 608/1
et seq.); and
- perform any other duties assigned to the Small Business Advocate by the Governor.
The Office of the Governor shall implement the provisions of this Executive Order in the most optimal, cost-effective fashion.
In addition to whatever policies or procedures the Governor may impose, to the extent applicable, all activity of the Small Business Advocate shall comply with the provisions of the Freedom of Information Act (5 ILCS 430/1
et seq.) and the Open Meetings Act (5 ILCS 120/1
et seq.). This section shall not be construed as precluding other statutes from applying to the Small Business Advocate and its activities.
Nothing in this Executive Order shall be construed to contravene any state or federal law.
If any provision of this Executive Order is found invalid by a court of competent jurisdiction, the remaining provisions shall remain in full force and effect.
This Executive Order shall become effective upon filing with the Secretary of State.
Governor of Illinois
Issued by the Governor:
Filed with the Secretary of State: