Executive Order Number 10-18
EXECUTIVE ORDER 2018-10
EXECUTIVE ORDER REDUCING THE SIZE OF GOVERNMENT THROUGH THE REVOCATION OF EXECUTIVE ORDERS
WHEREAS, the State of Illinois has created more than 600 authorities, boards, bureaus, commissions, committees, councils, task forces, or other similar entities ("boards and commissions") by statute or Executive Order; and
WHEREAS, many boards and commissions continue in name only, often serving no current public purpose; and
WHEREAS, many boards and commissions have been inactive for five years or more; and
WHEREAS, many boards and commissions were created for a special or temporary purpose, which they have fulfilled, and their continued existence is unnecessary, while others are redundant with other units of government; and
WHEREAS, good governance requires clean-up of the programs, entities, and bodies tasked with important governmental purposes to ensure transparency about the ongoing work of the State and to increase the efficiency of the executive branch; and
WHEREAS, many boards and commissions that are already expired, dissolved, or abolished continue to appear in State publications, including public-facing State websites and Legislative Research Unit reports, and Illinois residents should be provided greater clarity about their defunct status; and
WHEREAS, Section 11 of Article V of the Constitution of the State of Illinois authorizes the Governor, by Executive Order, to reorganize executive agencies which are directly responsible to him, which includes the abolition of boards and commissions;
THEREFORE, I, Bruce Rauner, Governor of Illinois, by virtue of the executive authority vested in me by Section 8 and Section 11 of Article V of the Constitution of the State of Illinois, do hereby order as follows:
As used in this Executive Order:
"Abolished Entity" means an agency designated by Exhibit A of this Executive Order to be abolished pursuant to Section IT of this Executive Order. "Boards and Commissions" means authorities, boards, bureaus, commissions, committees, councils, task forces, and other similar entities created by statute or Executive Order and situated in the executive branch.
FILED IMDFX.DEPARJMENT SEP 2 1 2018 IN THE OFFICE OF SECRETARY OF STATE
1. Effective immediately upon the filing of this Executive Order with the Secretary of State, the Executive Orders set forth on Exhibit A are revoked and rescinded, and the boards and commissions they authorize are abolished.
2. The rights, powers, duties, and functions vested by law in these entities by the Executive Orders set forth on Exhibit A to this Executive Order, and all rights, powers, and duties incidental to these provisions including funding mechanisms, are also abolished 30 days after the taking effect of this Executive Order.
3. Upon the taking effect of this Executive Order, to the extent authorized by law and required to facilitate the termination of the administration of an Abolished Entity, the functions, duties, rights, responsibilities, and, to the extent they exist, books, records and unexpended balances of appropriations or funds related to each Abolished Entity shall be transferred to the Department of Central Management Services or an appropriate agency designated by the Governor's Office. Such transfers shall be completed within 30 days of the taking effect of this Executive Order.
4. The corresponding terms of members appointed to the Abolished Entities are also terminated, and their appointed offices are subsequently abolished.
1. This Executive Order shall not affect any act undertaken, ratified, or cancelled or any right occurring or established or any action or proceeding commenced in an administrative, civil, or criminal case before this Executive Order takes effect, but these actions or proceedings may be prosecuted and continued by the Department of Central Management Services or an appropriate agency designated by the Governor's Office, if necessary.
2. This Executive Order shall not affect the legality of any rules in the Illinois Administrative Code that are in force on the effective date of this Executive Order, which rules have been duly adopted by a pertinent agency. Any rules, regulations, and other agency actions affected by the reorganization shall continue in effect. If necessary, however, the affected agencies shall propose, adopt, or repeal rules, rule amendments, and rule recodifications as appropriate to effectuate this Executive Order. These rule modifications shall coincide with, if applicable, the termination of the Abolished Entities' affairs.
3. This Executive Order does not contravene, and shall not be construed to contravene, any federal law, State statute, or collective bargaining agreement.
IV. CLARIFICATION AND CONFIRMATION OF ABOLISHED BOARDS
As a matter of both clarification and confirmation, the boards and commissions set forth on Exhibit a have been abolished, either through dissolution upon completing their mandated tasks or through revocation of their legal authority. All agencies under the jurisdiction of the Governor shall monitor their public-facing State websites and future publications to ensure that, when an agency mentions these and other inoperative boards and commissions, it identifies them as such.
V. FURTHER ACTION
The abolition of the entities set forth on Exhibit A does not foreclose further action by the Governor to review additional boards and commissions for abolition and to effectuate that abolition by Executive Order.
VI. PRIOR EXECUTIVE ORDERS
This Executive Order supersedes any contrary provision of any other prior Executive Order.
VII. SEVERABILITY CLAUSE
If any part of this Executive Order is found invalid by a court of competent jurisdiction, the remaining provisions shall remain in full force and effect. The provisions of this Executive Order are severable.
This Executive Order shall take effect immediately upon filing with the Secretary of State.
Bruce Rauner, Governor
Issued by Governor: September 21, 2018
Filed with Secretary of State: September 21, 2018
TO EXECUTIVE ORDER 2018-10
|Abolished Entity||Executive Orders from which the Abolished Entity Functions Derive:|
|Broadband Deployment Council||Executive Order Number 5 (2009)|
|Economic Recovery Commission||Executive Order Numbers 13, 18 (2009)|
|Illinois Health Care Reform Implementation Council||Executive Order Number 12 (2010)|
|HIP AA Task Force||Executive Order Number 19 (2003)|
|Illinois Reform Commission||Executive Order Number 1 (2009)|
|Illinois Integrated Justice Information System Implementation Board||Executive Order Number 16 (2003)|
|New Americans Immigrant Policy Council||Executive Order Number 10 (2005)|
|Illinois Parent Leadership Council||Executive Order Number 10 (2006)|
|Illinois Pet Advocacy Task Force Student Advisory Committee||Executive Order Number 9 (2014)|
|Illinois Pet Advocacy Task Force||Executive Order Number 9 (2014)|
|Safe Games Illinois Task Force on Violent and Sexually Explicit Video Games||Executive Order Number 14 (2004)|
|Social Innovation, Entrepreneurship, and Enterprise Task Force||Executive Order Number 5 (2011)|
|State Government Accountability Council||Executive Order Number 7 (1999)|
|Taxpayer Action Board||Executive Order Number 3 (2009)|
|Illinois Taxpayer's Sunshine Commission||Executive Order Number 14 (2003)|
|Department of Transportation Technical Merit Board||Executive Order Number 10 (2014)|
TO EXECUTIVE ORDER 2018-10
|Defunct Entity||Executive Order from which the Defunct Entity Functions Derive||Means by which the Entity Became Defunct|
|Ebola Virus Task Force||Executive Order Number 11 (2014)||Dissolved internally, eff. 6-30-15|
|Elgin-O'Hare West Bypass Advisory Council||Executive Order Number 13 (2010)||Expired internally on
delivery of final report, eff. 6-30-11|
|Local Government Consolidation and Unfunded
Mandates Task Force||Executive Order Number 15 (2015)||Dissolved internally upon submission of report, eff. 12-17-15|
|Illinois Science and Technology Advisory Committee ||Executive Order Number 3 (1997) (2000)||Repealed by Executive Order Number 12, eff. 6-21-00