Monday–Friday — 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
The library is closed on official state holidays.
Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library
112 North Sixth Street
Springfield, IL 62701
About the Reading Room
In November of 2017, the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library introduced a simpler, more streamlined way of helping researchers find information. Instead of asking you to visit multiple departments and conducting searches in each one, we will make all material – audiovisual, manuscripts, newspapers, and our published collection – available in the Reading Room on the library's first floor. You'll enjoy access from one central location. No departments will ever be unexpectedly closed. You'll enjoy new modern equipment paired with older, familiar microfilm readers. Visit today and sign up for your very own Researcher Card for access to our entire collection (bring a photo ID with address upon your first visit).
To discover more about our library's holdings, please visit our various collections pages. You'll find that each department (Audiovisual, Published, Manuscripts, Lincoln, Oral History, and Newspapers on Microfilm) has unique finding aids and search suggestions.
Allowed within the Reading Room:
- Laptops or Tablets
- Silenced Cell Phones, calls may be taken in the atrium
- Loose Notes
- USB drives for microfilm scanners
* Personal photographs may be taken in the Research Room, please review our Camera Policy.
Not allowed* within the Reading Room:
- Backpacks, briefcases, purses, or Laptop computer bags
- Binders or notebooks
- Coats and umbrellas
- Scissors, pocket knives, or other sharp objects
- Food and gum
- Beverages – drinking fountains are available
- Tape or glue
- Post-It Notes
- Pens, markers, highlighters, or any writing utensil that is not a pencil
* All visitors must check all restricted items in a locker or other designated area. Please see the security desk for a locker.
Requesting Library Materials
All requests for Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library materials are made through our online request system, Aeon. With Aeon you can:
- Submit requests automatically via links in our online catalog or via links in our finding aids
- Submit requests in advance of a visit to the library
- Submit orders for digital scans of library materials
- Track the status of each request
- Access detailed information about your past requests
Please review our reproduction policies and fees prior to submitting an order for reproductions.
Although not required, readers are welcome to request materials in advance of a visit. Materials do not circulate and are to be viewed on-site only. Reading Room staff will review your request and notify you of item availability or issues. Requests will be acted upon during paging hours (M-F 9:00am-4:30pm). If you experience issues using the online ordering system or would like to make these requests in person, a librarian will be happy to assist you. To speak with a staff member, please email email@example.com or call 217-524-6358.