Monday–Friday — 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (latest appt time is 2:30)
Appointments are required, please contact the library to schedule an appointment.
The library is closed on official state holidays.
Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library
112 North Sixth Street
Springfield, IL 62701
Using the Reading Room and Obtaining a Researcher's Card
The majority of the collections at ALPLM are housed in
climate-controlled stack areas which are not open to the public for browsing.
Visiting researchers may request items for use in the Reading Room which will
be retrieved by staff members. To discover more about our library's holdings, please visit our various collections pages. You'll find that each department (Audiovisual, Published, Manuscripts, Lincoln, Oral History, and Newspapers on Microfilm) has unique finding aids and search suggestions. On-site researchers are also invited to make use of our electronic databases. A list, most of which are available only on-site, is available here: Research Links.
To access the Reading Room and library materials, researchers must present a valid Researcher's Card. Visitors may obtain a Researcher Card by presenting a valid photo ID and proof of home address (driver's license or state-issued ID are the most commonly accepted forms). Before your arrival, you may find it helpful to register for an Aeon account and consult our card catalog.
Requesting Library Materials
Although not required, readers are welcome to
request materials in advance of a visit. All requests for Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library materials are made through our online request system, Aeon. With Aeon you can:
- Submit requests automatically via links in our online catalog or via links in our finding aids
- Submit requests in advance of a visit to the library
- Submit orders for digital scans of library materials
- Track the status of each request
- Access detailed information about your past requests
Please review our reproduction policies and fees prior to submitting an order for reproductions.
Although not required, readers are welcome to request materials in advance of a visit. Materials do not circulate and are to be viewed on-site only. Reading Room staff will review your request and notify you of item availability or issues. Requests will be acted upon during paging hours (M-F 9:00am-4:30pm). If you experience issues using the online ordering system or would like to make these requests in person, a librarian will be happy to assist you. To speak with a staff member, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 217-524-6358.
Allowed within the Reading Room:
- Laptops or Tablets
- Silenced Cell Phones, calls may be taken in the atrium
- Loose Notes
- USB drives for microfilm scanners
* Personal photographs may be taken in the Research Room, please review our Camera Policy.
Not allowed* within the Reading Room:
- Backpacks, briefcases, purses, or Laptop computer bags
- Binders or notebooks
- Coats and umbrellas
- Scissors, pocket knives, or other sharp objects
- Food and gum
- Tape or glue
- Post-It Notes
- Pens, markers, highlighters, or any writing utensil that is not a pencil
* All visitors must check all restricted items in a locker or other designated area. Please see the security desk for a locker.