FAQ Index



    Residential Codes

    Has the State of Illinois adopted a statewide building code for residential construction?

    No. Instead, units of local government have authority to adopt and enforce building codes, zoning ordinances, and other instruments related to construction. However, if the unit of local government has not adopted a residential building code, compliance with 815 ILCS 670-Illinois Residential Building Code Act is required.

    Does the Illinois Residential Building Code Act apply to repairs for existing construction?

    No. It only applies to new residential construction.

    My roof was damaged in a storm and needs to be repaired. My insurance company wants to know if ice and water shield and drip edge are required by a building code. How should I answer that question?

    The State has not adopted a building code for repairs to existing single family residences. However, both you and your insurance company should check with your unit of local government to verify if it has adopted any building code or ordinance regarding these. The unit of local government is usually either the city/village or county. If neither have adopted a code or ordinance addressing this, it is not required even though it is clearly good practice to do so. You should also verify if the roofing manufacturer requires these as a warranty condition.

    Commercial Codes 

    What building code has the State adopted for commercial construction?

    For privately funded commercial construction, the State of Illinois passed into law minimum requirements for building codes via Public Act 101-369, which amends Compiled Statute 20 ILCS 3105/10.09-1. The Statute mandates that privately funded commercial construction in all areas of the State be subject to model building code requirements, but it provides latitude for municipalities or counties to adopt codes of their choosing. As a result, rather than having a statewide building code, each municipality has an option of adopting a model code, or by default, accept the model codes required by the Act. The effective date of the Act is December 15, 2019. Rather than attempting to summarize the compiled statute, follow this link: http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/documents/002031050K10.09-1.htm

    Where can I find a list of building codes adopted by units of local government?

    The CDB website provides a tool for your use to research building codes adopted by State of Illinois units of local government. Go to the CDB website. Click on List of Illinois Codes Used Throughout the State of Illinois by City or County. Scroll down the list to find the name and contact information for the local governing body. If the governing body for which you are searching is not found on this list, the codes listed in the Act apply.

    Plumbing Code

    I need help with the Illinois Plumbing Code.

    The Plumbing Code is owned by the Illinois Department of Public Health and it regulates plumbers and the plumbing trade including licensure of plumbers and irrigation contractors. For all information related to the plumbing code, visit the IDPH Plumbing website.

    General Questions

    I have a disagreement with the local code official. Can the State overrule the local code official’s decisions?

    No. The local code official is the Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ). The State has no authority to overrule the AHJ.

    I am a renter. My landlord refuses to correct problems with my building. What can I do about this to force the landlord to make corrections?

    Generally, building codes do not address conditions of existing buildings. However, if your unit of local government has adopted the International Property Maintenance Code, or an ordinance similar to this code, contact your local code official and ask for help resolving your issue. Also, consider notifying your city or county to ask for assistance. The State has no authority to intervene in such issues. Ultimately, resolution might require assistance from an attorney.

    Does the State perform plan reviews, issue building permits, perform inspections for building code compliance or issue occupancy permits for privately funded construction?

    No. If any of these are required, they would be addressed by the unit of local government.

    My contractor’s work is poor quality and is not code compliant. What can I do?

    Report the deficiencies to your local code official. If your unit of local government does not have a code official, consider seeking advice from a licensed architect, engineer, structural engineer, or legal advice from an attorney. The State has no authority to intervene in such cases.

    How can I find my local code? 

    CDB maintains an Illinois City or County Local Code Directory to assist you with your local code questions. It provides a list of all local codes with the contract information for each local code official.
    Illinois Codes FAQ