Section 3000.300 (a) states that all travel shall be by the most economical mode of transportation available considering travel time, costs and work requirements. Please keep in mind that the following stipulations are still in place when renting a car to be used for official State of Illinois business travel:
The State of Illinois currently has a contract with Hertz Car Rental. The prices for car rental are below and the Trip Cost Calculator above has the prices auto calculated into the totals.
- Only compact or mid-size classes of automobiles can be rented without authorization.
- Employees must adhere to the refueling policy of the rental company and cannot utilize a fuel pre-payment option.
- The Collison Damage Waiver or any other type of insurance offered must be declined.
- Additional options offered such as GPS, may be accepted for the employee's convenience but will not be reimbursed.
Payment methods include personal debit or credit card. Employees will be charged taxes which are reimbursable.
* If a vehicle is used for less than 12 hours, enter the number of hours.
If a vehicle is used 12 hours or more, enter the numbers in days.
** Trip Cost Calculator is based on daily rental rates. The trip cost calculator is for use as a guide to help drivers determine cost effective travel alternatives for individual trips in keeping with state regulations.
Familiarize yourself with your agency’s internal requirements relating to the use of reimbursement and other transportation alternatives as well.
In cases where a state pool vehicle is not available, the next most cost efficient option is recommended.
Enter the duration of the trip in hours or days and the estimated round trip miles, then click on the Calculate button to perform the calculation.
Contact your Agency Vehicle or Travel Coordinator if you require further information or contact Central Management Services, Division of Vehicles for further assistance.