The Department of Central Management Services (CMS) announced today that the Medicare Advantage procurement has concluded and contracts are being awarded to the winning vendors. All members who will be offered a Medicare Advantage plan option, whether they live in Illinois or in another state, will have access to a nationwide Medicare Advantage PPO plan. Certain members residing in Illinois, depending on residential
county, will also have access to a Medicare Advantage HMO plan. It is the Departmentï¿½s intent to award the following contracts ï¿½
- Aetna Life Insurance Company - a Medicare Advantage HMO Plan;
- Humana Health plan - a Medicare Advantage HMO Plan;
- Humana Benefit Plan - a Medicare Advantage HMO Plan for the counties of Livingston and Knox; and
- United Healthcare - a nationwide Medicare Advantage PPO
Although it is the intent of CMS to award to the winning vendors, the award process includes a 7-day dispute period which will end next Wednesday, October 9th. Impacted members will be sent letters from CMS regarding the procurement and the next steps they need to take regarding their health insurance coverage. More than one mailing will likely be sent as additional information is finalized and enrollment/seminar dates are scheduled.
Once all matters are finalized, the letter(s) will, at a minimum, include the following information:
- Plan design, including copayment amounts, deductibles and coinsurance percentages
- Provider networks
- Enrollment dates
- Effective date of the new coverage
- Monthly premiums
- Details on how to cancel coverage (TRIP and CIP retirees) or opt out (State retirees)
- Seminar dates, locations and times
Members who receive the letter and do not want to elect one of the new Medicare Advantage plan options will be instructed on how to cancel their current health plan. Impacted members who do not elect one of the new Medicare Advantage plans offered will have their coverage terminated.
As there are certain formalities that must be followed before the procurement is finalized, limited information remains available,
both in the CMS Benefits Office and with the selected vendors. We would ask that you refrain from contacting the vendors until this process is complete as their staff is not yet familiar with the plan(s) being offered. Your patience and assistance is appreciated.
Please check back to this website page often as information will be posted here once it is known.