Please review the information below to determine if your organization is eligible to obtain Federal Surplus property. Federal Surplus property is obtained through the GSAXcess website. Some property is also available at our warehouse located in Springfield, Illinois. The Springfield Warehouse is open weekdays from 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.

If you are looking for specific items, send us a Federal Property Request.

You can view the current inventory of property by using the button below.Virtual Warehouse

Contact us for more information at:

Illinois Federal Surplus Warehouse
1924 S. 10 ½ street
Springfield, IL 62704

Find us on Facebook:

fire truck furniture forklift military truck 

Is your organization eligible for CMS Federal Surplus Property?

Programs for the Homeless (Homeless Shelters, Foodbanks, etc.)

Non-profit tax exempt organizations which provide food, shelter, or support services to homeless people may also be eligible to receive surplus properly through donation. Such organizations may include soup kitchens, food banks, homeless shelters, and half-way houses. Please download this application and instruction letter (Non-profit organizations).

Non-Profit and Public Programs for the Elderly (Senior Centers, Adult Centers)

State or local government agencies and non-profit organizations or institutions which receive funds appropriated for programs for older individuals under the Older Americans Act of 1965, under Title IV or Title XX of the Social Security Act or under the Economic Opportunity Act may be eligible to receive donations of surplus property for programs for the elderly. Types of organizations include: adult day care, senior transport services, nutrition services, legal services, and multi-purpose senior centers. Please download this application and instruction letter to begin.

Public Agencies (Police, Fire, Public Works, Schools, etc., of any County, City, Village)

Eligibility may be granted to any tax supported government or public agency established by or pursuant to state law. Public agencies generally include: departments and divisions of state government and other instrumentalities; political subdivisions of states, including cities, counties, and other local government units and economic development districts. Download an application and instruction letter to begin.

Rural Volunteer Fire and Protection Districts should refer to the following fire instruction letter and application.

Illinois Public School Districts should refer to this instructional letter (Public Schools) and application.

Non-Profit, Tax-Exempt Health or Educational Organizations (Libraries, Schools, Museums, etc.)

Surplus personal property may be donated to nonprofit educational and public health activities exempt from taxation under section 501 of the Federal Internal Revenue Code. The property must be used to aid education or public health, either directly or through research. Types of organizations eligible include, but are not limited to, medical institutions, hospitals, health centers, clinics, drug abuse treatment centers, schools, colleges and universities, schools for the mentally and physically challenged, child care centers, educational radio and television stations, museums, and libraries. Non-Profit organizations should refer to the following instructional letter and application. Non-Profit Private Schools should download this instructional letter (NFP Schools) and application. Illinois Museums may also be eligible for Federal Surplus Property and should refer to this instructional letter (Museums) and application.

Small Businesses (Construction, Services, Retail, Agricultural)

Certain small, disadvantaged businesses that have first enrolled in the U.S. Small Business Administration’s 8(a) Business Development Program may receive Federal surplus property and equipment. Find out more information about becoming an SBA 8(a) contractor. SBA certification is a requirement before enrollment to receive Federal surplus property. If you are already an SBA 8(a) certified vendor, please refer to this instructional letter (SBA) and application.

Veteran-Owned and Service-Disabled Veteran-Owned Small Businesses

Veteran-Owned Small Businesses that have first been certified through the Vets First Verification Program may receive Federal surplus property and equipment. The Vets First Verification Program affords verified firms owned and controlled by Veterans and Service-disabled Veterans the opportunity to receive federal surplus property from the U.S. General Services Administration (GSA). During Verification, the Center for Verification and Evaluation (CVE) verifies SDVOSBs/VOSBs according to the tenets found in Title 38 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) Part 74 and 13 CFR Part 125 that address Veteran eligibility, ownership, and control. In order to qualify for participation in the GSA program, eligible SDVOSBs/VOSBs must first be verified. Please review this instruction document (VOSB and SDVOSB) and complete this application.

Veteran Organizations (VFWs, American Legions, among others)

Thanks to the Vets Act of 2013, veteran service organizations are eligible to receive Federal surplus property. Office equipment, electronics, vehicles, food service equipment, outdoor equipment, tools, etc., may be acquired. The U.S. General Services Administration has developed interim guidelines. Please refer to this list of eligible veteran organizations to determine if your organization qualifies under Federal law. Please refer to the following instructional letter (VetsAct2013) and application.

SEAs - Service Educational Activities (Boy/Girl Scouts, American Red Cross, etc.)

Section 549(d) of Title 40, United States Code authorizes Federal surplus property under the control of the U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) to be donated, through the Illinois State Agency for Surplus Property, to educational activities which are of special interest to the armed services. To learn if your organization is qualified under Federal law, please check this list of SEA authorized organizations. If you believe your organization meets the criteria of this program, please refer to this instructional letter (SEAs) and application.

Other Surplus Property resources:

Under Federal law, Section 549 of title 40, United States Code, the General Services Administration (GSA) has discretionary authority to prescribe the necessary regulations for, and to execute the surplus personal property donation program. All 50 states and U.S. territories may participate in this donation program. In Illinois, the Department of Central Management Services (CMS) administers the Federal Surplus Property Program, also known under Federal law as the Illinois State Agency for Surplus Property (ILSASP). A list of organizations established by Federal law can be found here.