Jan Kemmerling serves as the Acting Deputy Director for the Illinois Office of Tourism in the Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity (DCEO). As part of these duties, Jan is responsible for overall management of the domestic and international tourism marketing and public relations programs as well as the tourism grant programs. Jan is also responsible for the development and management of the Office of Tourism's budget.
Jan has worked with the Illinois Office of Tourism since 1989 except for a 6-year period of time from 1996-2002 when she served as Principal of Tourism Research and Development. As such, Jan provided consulting services to state, regional and local tourism agencies.
Jan has directed and been involved in a number of tourism marketing and research projects for the State of Illinois as well as other destination marketing organizations throughout the country. Some of these projects include:
- Development and implementation of a state-wide heritage tourism program;
- Best practices analysis of state tourism development programs;
- Visitor information center study and Economic Impact Analysis for the Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum;
- Sports development study;
- Advertising evaluation studies;
- Image studies;
- Resident attitude studies;
- Assessment and evaluation of Illinois' tourist information centers;
- Assessment and evaluation of Illinois' tourism grant programs;
- Assessment and study of five-county area in upstate New York; and,
- Economic impact analyses for various events.