Due to Covid-19 precautions, some local agencies who serve customers in either LIHEAP or CSBG are closed to the public, however they are all taking applications remotely. Please contact your agency from the county list
https://www2.illinois.gov/dceo/CommunityServices/HomeWeatherization/CommunityActionAgencies/Pages/default.aspx for specific information.
To obtain the status of an application you can use the weblink
or call the Illinois LIHEAP Hotline at 1-877-411-9276.
The LIHEAP application period is July 27, 2020 to June 30, 2021, or until funding is exhausted.
Contact your local Community Action Agency to make an appointment to apply for LIHEAP. You can use the "Where to Apply" link to the right to locate the appropriate Community Action Agency for your county. You may also call 1-877-411-9276.
If your household’s combined income for the 30 days prior to application (gross income, before taxes are deducted) is at or below 200% of the federal poverty (up from 150% last year), level as shown in the chart below, you may be eligible to receive assistance. If you rent, and your heat and/or electric is included in the rent, your rent must be greater than 30% of your income in order to be eligible to receive assistance.
2020 Federal Poverty Guidelines for 200% of Poverty for 2021 Program Year
|Family Size||30 Day Income||Annual Income|
Additional $736 per person monthly income above 8 people, or $8,840 annual.
(Note 30-day income rounded up.)
These figures are based on the 2020 Federal Poverty Guidelines published in the US Department of Health and Human Services in the Federal Register Doc. 2020-00858 February 15, 2020. The state reserves the right to adjust these levels based on the availability of federal appropriations.
Bring all appropriate documentation:
Do not forget to have available at the time of interview all required documentation, including:
- Proof of gross income from all household members for the 30-day period beginning with the date of application.
- A copy of current heat and electric bills issued within the last 30 days (if energy directly paid for).
- A copy of rental agreement (if renting) showing that utilities are included, the monthly rental amount and landlord contact information.
- Proof of Social Security numbers for all household members.
- Proof the household received TANF or other benefits, such as Medical Eligibility or SNAP, if receiving assistance from the Illinois Department of Human Services.