The Business Attraction Prime Sites Capital Grant Program assists companies with large-scale capital investment projects that commit to significant job creation for Illinois residents as they relocate or expand operations within Illinois. Prime Sites grants can encompass a wide range of economic development projects that will result in job creation in the state of Illinois.
Award amounts for eligible projects will be formula based, and an applicant may apply for a grant of up to $5,000 per new job created. Grants will range from $250,000 to $6 million. This grant opportunity also includes a 4:1 match requirement, meaning grant funds can only cover 20% of the total eligible capital expenses for the proposed project.
Eligible projects may include new construction and renovation of industrial and commercial facilities, including associated infrastructure improvements and the purchase and installation of durable equipment. Construction or renovation of facilities to be used as warehouses are not eligible.
These grants originate from Rebuild Illinois capital funds, so expenditures for these funds are subject to Bondability Guidelines.
This is a competitive grant opportunity for which DCEO will receive and evaluate applications on a rolling basis. To be eligible to apply for a Business Attraction Prime Sites grant, applicants must:
- be relocating to or expanding operations in Illinois
- have received confirmation of eligibility for an EDGE or HIB credit for the relevant relocation or expansion project within the past 6 months or have a pending application for the EDGE or HIB program that is ultimately approved
- commit to:
- hiring at least 50 new employees that are Illinois residents to work onsite where the capital project is located, AND making a $40 million investment, OR
- hiring at least 100 new employees that are Illinois residents to work onsite where the capital project is located, AND making a $20 million investment
- pay salaries to new employees that are equal to or exceed 120% of the average wage paid to full-time employees in the county where the project is located
- operate in one the of the following industries of focus from the 2019 Illinois Economic Plan:
- Agribusiness and Ag Tech
- Information Technology
- Life Sciences and Healthcare
- Transportation and Logistics
For more details on the program, including funding information, eligibility, application and submission information, application review and priorities, and reporting, review the program's Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO): Prime Sites 2608-2023.pdf
An entity must be registered in the Grant Accountability and Transparency Act (GATA) Grantee Portal, www.grants.illinois.gov/portal, at the time of grant application. Application materials are available here: https://www2.illinois.gov/dceo/AboutDCEO/GrantOpportunities/Pages/2608-2023.aspx