Consider a career in child welfare...
and the State of Illinois as your employer
For a list of current available vacancies click
- The Illinois Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS) is the state agency charged with safeguarding the welfare of Illinois children. DCFS is a large, nationally recognized and respected child welfare agency.
- The Illinois Department of Children and Family Services needs qualified candidates for full-time positions as caseworkers, investigators, attorneys, accountants, supervisors, managers, computer programmers and administrative professionals, bilingual applicants strongly encouraged
- In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and the Illinois Human Rights Act, state agencies must ensure that the employment process is accessible to persons with disabilities. Specifically, these laws require that the state provide reasonable accommodations upon request by individuals participating in all steps of the employment process. This includes the initial testing phases of the candidate selection process for state positions as well as the subsequent employment interview process. Any and all accommodation requests by applicants throughout the state employment process should be appropriately reviewed and considered by human resources staff in state hiring agencies. If you need such an accommodation, please contact the DCFS Office of Employee Services.
- Benefits include: continuing education programs; paid vacation, holidays and sick time; and a retirement/pension program
- Choose from multiple job titles and statewide office locations
Click on the map to see our locations
- Child and Family Intern (Trainee) positions are available in targeted counties for candidates possessing a human service degree but not the required years of experience
- Information on employment opportunities, job qualifications and application procedures, as well as the required employment application are available at
HIRING and APPLICATION PROCESS
To be considered for a position within DCFS or to apply for any of the titles utilized by DCFS or other titles, you must have a qualifying grade from the Illinois Dept. of Central Management Services (CMS), the agency responsible for grading employment applications.
2. APPLICATION - CMS100
To apply for a grade for any of the DCFS titles identified, an
Employment Application (CMS 100) is required
. Various titles can be graded by application alone, other titles will require testing with the Department of Central Management Services. Clerical titles require testing. Direct service titles at DCFS are graded based upon the education and experience listed on the application. Each applicant must ensure that the application is completed in its entirety, including education and the selection of work county preference. CMS will only accept
title listed on an application. If you are interested in multiple titles, please fill out a separate application for each title.
Information provided on the CMS 100 is used to determine your eligibility for appointment to a State of Illinois position title. Thus it is critical that all information requested be provided accurately and completely.
Omitted, incomplete or inconsistent information may result in the application being returned to you or the issuance of an ineligible grade for the position title.
Please consider this application your initial job interview
. Be as descriptive as possible and add all you responsibilities/duties with an explanation. Click
for some helpful tips you can use when filling out the CMS 100.
3. SUBMITTING THE APPLICATION
Once completed, an Employment Application (CMS100
) may be mailed directly to CMS; or a hard copy may be mailed to the DCFS Office of Employee Services/Selection and Recruitment locations listed below. DCFS will forward applications to CMS. To access the CMS 100 application on line please visit
CMS issues grades via US Postal mail to the applicants. The process can take a minimum of three weeks from CMS receipt of the application. Open Competitive grades are valid for one year. The applicant is responsible for notifying CMS of any address change if she/he moves during the course of the year.
5. CMS ELIGIBILE CANDIDATE LISTS BY COUNTY
CMS maintains eligible listings of qualified candidates by county preference indicated by the applicant. DCFS will requests the eligible listings by county from CMS to fill vacancies for which there are no eligible internal bidders.
All veterans who are identified as eligible candidates are contacted first to be scheduled for an interview. Non-veteran candidates are scheduled subsequently for interviews.
FREQUENTLY FILLED JOB TITLES AND RELATED DEGREES
Click here to see some of the more frequently filled job titles at DCFS (not a reflection of current positions available). You may also
click here for a list of current key vacancies by county. For current available vacancies please visit
Individuals interested in employment with the Department of Children and Family Services with questions can contact the Office of Employee Services' Recruitment and Selection Unit for further information at the following:
Email the Office of Employee Services at:
Office of Employee Services
406 E. Monroe, Sta. 373
Springfield, IL 62701
Thank you for your interest in the
Illinois Department of Children and Family Services.