Financial Credit Complainant Information Sheet (CIS)
This form is available in "PDF" format. Viewing "PDF" files requires Acrobat Reader.
If your Acrobat Reader doesn't open the CIS form, follow the steps below:
1. If you're using CHROME, right-click on the link for the CIS form.
2. Select Save Link As, then select a location on your computer (like My Documents or your Desktop) to save the file.
3. Go to the location where you saved the file and double click on it to open the applicationi without needing to be online. (Adobe Reader needs to be installed and up to date) Download a free version of Acrobat Reader.
OR mail the
signed form, but
DO NOT do
All financial institutions doing business in Illinois are prohibited from discriminating in the granting of commercial or personal loans, and credit cards. The Illinois Department of Human Rights can investigate charges of Financial Credit discrimination filed against any bank, credit union, insurance company, mortgage banking company or savings and loan association.
Prohibited Financial Activities
It is against the law for financial institutions to discriminate by:
- Denying or modifying services normally offered.
- Denying or varying the terms of a loan, where:
- A parcel of real estate offered as security is located in a specific geographical area;
- The institution does not consider all of the rgular and dependable income of each person who would be liable for repayment of the loan;
- Lending standards are used that have no economic basis.
- Refusing to issue a credit card despite a proper application.
Types Of Discrimination Covered
Age - (40 and over)
Disability - (physical and mental)
Order of Protection Status
Sexual Orientation - (including gender-related identity)
Pregnancy - (including child birth, or related medical or common conditions)
Unfavorable Military Discharge
What The Department Cannot Do
The Department cannot investigate Financial Credit charges:
- Based on political affiliations, personality conflicts, etc.
- Against the federal government.
To File A Charge
Submit a completed Financial Credit Complainant Information Sheet (CIS) either in person or by mail. If your allegations are covered under the Illinois Human Rights Act, a charge will be drafter for your signature. A charge of Financial Credit discrimination must be filed within 300 days of the alleged discrimination.
Allegations of discrimination related to a mortgage are covered by
Fair Housing and must be filed within
one year of the date of the alleged discrimination. Please see the
Fair Housing section of our website to obtain a Fair Housing Complainant Information Sheet (CIS) and additional information.
- You may also contact our offices directly:
555 West Monroe Street
Chicago, IL 60661
(866) 740-3953 (TTY)
(FAX - Administration)
(FAX - Charge Processing)
535 West Jefferson Street
Springfield, IL 62702
(866) 740-3953 (TTY)
(217) 785-5106 (FAX)
The Department's brochure for Financial Credit is available as a downloadable pdf on the