The Department of Human Rights' Intake Unit can assist you in preparing a charge of discrimination. A charge of discrimination must be filed within 180 days after the alleged discriminatory action, or one year for a Housing case.
When you file a charge of discrimination, you will need to give us as much detailed information as possible:
- Give us your full name, mailing address and a phone number where you can be reached, or information for a contact person if you cannot be reached. You are responsible for notifying IDHR of any changes.
- Give accurate and complete information of the employer, (refer to your IRS W-2 form for the correct legal name of the employer), union, other organization or person that you believe discriminated against you. Include name(s), address(es) and telephone number(s).
- Give the most recent date the alleged discrimination took place.
- Provide names and contact information for any witnesses and copies of any relevant documents.
How to File a Charge
To file a charge of discrimination under the Illinois Human Rights Act, contact us by one of the two methods below:
1). In Person
Print, complete and sign a Complainant Information Sheet ("CIS") from the links at the bottom of this page. Bring the completed and signed CIS with you when you come.
Intake staff will interview you and, if you allegations are covered by the Act, will draft a charge which you must sign; non-housing charges must also be notarized. IDHR staff does not suggest reasons to file, but will discuss the various types of discrimination and explain the procedures for filing a charge. In addition, IDHR may refer you to other agencies where appropriate.
Office hours: Monday through Friday, 8:30 A.M. to 5:00 P.M.
Intake Interviews: Monday through Thursday, 8:30 A.M. to 3:00 P.M.
No intake interviews are conducted on Fridays.
- You do not need an appointment.
- A photo i.d. is required to enter the Chicago office.
- Walk-ins are taken on a first come, first served basis.
- No walk-ins are taken on Fridays.
- Department offices in Chicago and Springfield are located at:
100 W. Randolph Street
10th Floor Intake Unit
Chicago, IL 60601
(866) 740-3953 (TTY)
(312) 814-1436 (FAX)
(312) 814-6251 (FAX)
(312) 814-2397 (FAX)
222 South College
Springfield, IL 62704
(866) 740-3953 (TTY)
(217) 785-5106 (FAX)
Accommodations for Persons with Disabilities
Persons with disabilities who need accommodations to participate in IDHR programs should request such help from the Americans with Disabilities Act Coordinator. You may contact the Coordinator by using one of the following methods listed below:
- Call (217) 785-5119 (Voice) or (866) 740-3953 (TTY);
- Fax to (217) 785-5106;
- Email the Coordinator; or
- Write to the Coordinator at 222 S. College, Room 101, Springfield, IL 62704.
Only a parent or legal guardian may file a charge on behalf of a minor or other person who has a guardian appointed to manage his/her affairs. Persons under the age of 18 are considered minors under state law.
If you need an interpreter for another language, you may bring someone to interpret for you. The interpreter must be over the age of 18. IDHR may be able to provide an interpreter with a 24 hour notice.
2). In Writing
If you prefer to contact IDHR in writing, print and complete a Complainant Information Sheet (CIS).
A completed CIS may be submitted by mail or facsimile to (312) 814-6251. Submitting the CIS does not mean you have filed a charge.
Complainant Information Sheet (CIS)
Please select from the list below the Intake Complainant Information Sheet (CIS) that pertains to the area of your discrimination allegation:
Sexual Harassment in Education
Charge filing forms and instructions are available at the link below.
These forms are available in "PDF" format. Viewing "PDF" files requires Acrobat Reader.
For a free download of Acrobat Reader, click here.
Additional Information on the processing of charges is available through the following links:
For information about the status of a pending charge, contact
Case Status Inquiry: E-mail or call (312) 814-4294
Back to Process