Employment Complainant Information Sheet (CIS) en Español
This form is available in "PDF" format. Viewing "PDF" files requires Acrobat Reader.
If your Acrobat Reader doesn't open the CIS form, follow the steps below:
1. If you're using CHROME, right-click on the link for the CIS form.
2. Select Save Link As, then select a location on your computer (like My documents or your Desktop) to save the file.
3. Go to the location where you saved the file and double click on it to open the application without needing to be online. (Adobe Reader needs to be installed and up to date) Download a free version of
OR mail the
signed form, but
DO NOT do
The Illinois Department of Human Rights investigates charges of Employment discrimination filed against private employers, state or local government, unions and employment agencies. Individuals can also be charged in some cases.
The employer charged with discrimination must have at least
15 employees in the State of Illinois in order for the Department to investigate, unless:
- The charge alleges sexual harassment, pregnancy, retaliation or physical or mental disability discrimination. (Only 1 employee is needed for these cases).
- The employer is a public contractor. (A public contractor is an employer who does business with the State of Illinois or a unit of local government.)
- The employer is a unit of State government.
Prohibited Employment Actions
The Illinois Human Rights Act prohibits discrimination in a variety of Employment actions, for example:
Employers: In unequal terms and conditions of employment, including hiring, selection, promotion, transfer, pay, tenure, discharge, and discipline.
Employment Agencies: To fail or refuse to register or refer for apprenticeship and employment opportunities.
Labor Organization: To limit or segregate in membership, or in the terms and conditions of employment or apprenticeship positions.
Types Of Discrimination Covered
Age - (40 and over)
Order of Protection Status
Disability - (physical and mental)
Sexual Orientation - (including gender-related identity)
Unfavorable Military Discharge
Arrest Record - (or criminal history record ordered
expunged, sealed or impounded)
Citizenship Status - (born or naturalized U.S. citizen,
U.S. national or documented immigrant)
Language - (any language use not related to job duties)
Pregnancy - (including child birth, or related medical or common conditions)
Retaliation - (for opposing unlawful discrimination)
Coercion / Aiding and Abetting - (helping or forcing a person to commit unlawful discrimination)
Women affected by pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical or common conditions shall be treated the same for all employment-related purposes, including receipt of benefits under fringe benefit programs, as other persons not so affected but similar in their ability or inability to work.
What The Department Cannot Do
- The Department cannot investigate unfair employment actions such as: political affiliations, personality conflicts, etc., unless such actions are alleged to be for one or more of the reasons (types of discrimination) listed above.
- The Department cannot investigate unfair union practices unless such claims involve one or more of the types of discrimination described above.
- The Department cannot investigate charges against the federal government. Such a charge can only be filed with the EEO office of the agency alleged to have discriminated.
- The Department cannot investigate employers with fewer than
15 employees, unless the type of discrimination is sexual harassment, pregnancy, retaliation, or disability, the employer is a public contractor, or a unit of state government.
To File A Charge
Submit a completed
Employment Complainant Information Sheet (CIS) either in person or by mail. If your allegations are covered under the Illinois Human Rights Act, a charge will be drafted for your signature. A charge of Employment discrimination must be filed within 300 days of the alleged discrimination.
You may contact one of our offices directly:
100 West Randolph Street
Chicago, IL 60601
(866) 740-3953 (TTY)
(FAX - Administration)
(FAX - Charge Processing)
535 West Jefferson Street
Springfield, IL 62702
(866) 740-3953 (TTY)
(217) 785-5106 (FAX)