FAQs - Employer Eligibility Number (PC-1)

Frequently Asked Questions


The FAQ section will assist you in applying for or renewing an IDHR Employer Eligibility Number.  If you still need further assistance, please contact the Public Contracts Unit by Email.


Q:  How do I obtain and/or renew an existing IDHR number? 

A:  You can apply for and/or renew an IDHR Employer Eligibility Number through the IDHR Vendor On-Line Registration.  There will be a $75.00 non-refundable fee.  The number expires five (5) years after the date of issue and may be renewed at that time for an additional $75.00 fee.  IDHR payments can be made using the following credit cards:   Visa, MasterCard, American Express or Discover.
Vendors may also apply for a first-time IDHR Employer Eligibility Number and/or renew an existing IDHR Employer eligibility Number via regular mail.  The First Time/Renewal Employer Report Form (PC-1) is deemed filed when it is properly completed, signed, and received at the IDHR Chicago office with the $75.00 non-refundable registration fee payable to the Illinois Department of Human Rights.
NO BUSINESS OR PERSONAL CHECKS WILL BE ACCEPTED --- only cashier's check, certified check, money order, or credit cards will be accepted and processed.  All forms accompanied by a business or personal check will be returned unprocessed.

Q:  How long does it take to obtain an IDHR Employer Eligibility Number?

A:  It takes approximately 24 to 48 hours to issue an IDHR number online and three (3) to five (5) business days to process the mail-in application if the application is properly completed.


Q:  How will I be notified of my IDHR number?

A:  A Letter of Eligibility will be emailed to the email address you provide.  If no email address is provided, a hard copy of the letter will be sent via regular mail.


Q:  How will I know that my IDHR number has been renewed?

A:  A Confirmation Notice will be emailed to the email address provided.  If no email address is provided, a hard copy of the notice will be sent via regular mail.


Q:  How do we register additional locations with the same FEIN as the corporate headquarters?

A:  The corporate headquarters for the company must submit via regular mail an First Time/Renewal Employer Report Form (PC-1) for all locations it wishes to register.  You cannot register and/or renew locations through the Vendor On-Line Registration link.  No additional fee is required.  Out of State locations cannot be registered.


Q:  I am trying to register and or renew online and the system will not accept my FEIN.

A:  (1). Do no insert spaces or dashes when entering the FEIN; or (2).  The company may have a valid IDHR number.


Q:  Do I need an IDHR Employer Eligibility Number if we have no office(s) in the State of Illinois?

A:  Yes, Department Rules require all contractors who plan on doing business with the State to register regardless of the location.


Q:  We have less than 15 employees, and plan to submit a bid on a state contract.  Do we need an IDHR number?

A:  No, according to Department Rules; however, the requirements of the contracting agency may require you to have an IDHR number even though you have less than 15 employees.


Q:  We have multiple establishments located in Illinois with fewer than 25 employees at each location; do I file a PC-1 application for each establishment?

A:  No.  Submit one (1) PC-1 Report Form and consolidate the employment figures for all offices.


Q:  We have several establishments and each has their own Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN).  Do I need to complete a PC-1 application for each office even if they will not be bidding on state contracts?

A:  No.


Q:  How do I make a change of address?
A:  You can change/update your address online by accessing our vendor change of address form.