Grant Assisted Sites and FAQ

Christian County​​Clark CountyCumberland County
South Fork Dirt RidersClark County Park District​​Lincoln Trail Motosports
794 East IL Route 104Mill Creek Park​
649 County Road 2150 E
Taylorville, IL 6256820482 N Park Entrance RdCasey, IL 62420
217-237-4752 [436 acres]Marshall 62441217-932-2041 [280 acres] 217-889-2882 [150 acres approx.]   
Henry County Pike County Saline County 
Atkinson Motorsports ParkHarpole’s Heartland LodgeWilliams Hill Pass OHV Park 
P.O. Box 179Harpole’s OHV Park
1935 Peak Road
Atkinson, IL 6123510236 393rd StreetHarrisburg, IL 62946
309-936-7878 [206 acres]Nebo IL 62355618-252-6978 [220 acres]
www.gobhill.com217-734-2526 [1,200 acres]
Scott County Williamson County Winnebago County
Crooked Creek OHV Riding AreaLittle Egypt Public OHV AreaRocky Glen OHV Park
735 Brackett LanePO Box 1974012 South Main Street
Winchester, IL 62694Harrisburg, IL 62946Rockford, IL 61102
217-742-3415 [65 acres]618-252-2062 [718 acres]815-963-8081 [120 acres]
Remember to:
  •  Respect other people's property and rights. Stay on the trail. Know where you are and are not permitted to ride. 
  •  Use a full-size helmet, goggles or visor to prevent injuries from twigs, stones and flying debris. 
  •  Never carry a passenger on your ATV. 
  •  Maintain a safe speed for the terrain, visibility conditions and your experience. 
  •  Be sure your all-terrain vehicle is in top notch mechanical condition at all times. 
  •  Familiarize yourself with your ATV by reading the owner's manual. 
  •  Never operate an ATV under the influence of alcohol or drugs. 
  •  Obey the law. Ask your local dealer about ATV laws and regulations. Do not harass wildlife. 
  •  Do not litter any trails or camping areas. Carry out what you carry in. 
  •  Be a good sportsman. Recognize that people judge all ATV users by your actions. 
What is it?
The OHV grant program was created as part of the Recreational Trails of Illinois Act signed into law by Governor Edgar on August 1, 1997. This Act stipulated that all-terrain vehicles and off-highway motorcycles purchased on or after January 1, 1998 must apply for a $30 certificate of title. (Machines used only for production agriculture need only pay $13). These funds are to be used for grants for public OHV riding areas and for the administration, enforcement, planning and implementation of the Act.
What types of grants are available?
Grants may be awarded for the acquisition of land from willing sellers (either fee simple title, permanent easement or lease), for the development of OHV areas (including construction, rehabilitation and maintenance costs), for the restoration of areas damaged by OHV use, and for rider education and safety programs.
Who may apply for the grants?
Units of local government, private OHV clubs and organizations, business entities and private individuals.
How large are the grants?
There is no maximum grant award established. The grant cycle does have a maximum it is allowed to award per year.  That amount is listed in the Notice of Funding Opportunity for that grant cycle.  Grants may cover up to 100% of an approved project's cost.
What "strings" are attached to the grants?
All sites that receive grant assistance must be open to the public during reasonable hours and times of the year. Development grant recipients must maintain the site for public use for a minimum of 5 years, plus 1 additional year for every $10,000 in assistance over $50,000. Acquisition grant recipients, depending on the type of acquisition, may be required to keep the property open for OHV use in perpetuity.
May a fee be charged to the public for the use of a grant-assisted site?
Yes. However, the fee must be reasonable and not discriminatory and may be subject to review by DNR.
If an applicant receives OHV grant funds, can they apply for additional funds for the same site later?
Yes. There is no restriction placed on how many times an applicant may apply or receive grant funds, nor is there any maximum grant limit of funds that may be allocated for a single site.
Are there any restrictions placed on the users of a site that has received OHV grant funds?
Yes. In addition to the titling fees that support the grant program, a public access sticker must also be purchased for every machine that is operated on a public OHV site. The funds raised from the sale of the stickers are deposited into the grant program fund. The public access decals will be sold at the following rates:
1. $11 for individual use by Illinois residents
2.$17 for rental units or non-residents from states that do not have a reciprocal agreement with the department, or vehicles registered as production agriculture
3.$25 for dealer and manufacturer demonstrations and research.
Is there a restriction placed on the vehicle size?
Yes, projects allowing the use of any type of trucks or vehicles outside of the definitions of recreational vehicles according the Illinois vehicle code on the premises continue to be excluded from eligibility for project consideration and grant funding (OHV and RTP). The use of trucks and vehicles not classified by the code often impedes OHV riding, in direct conflict with the purpose and intent of statutes and policies pertaining to OHV. This is also consistent with the statutory definition of OHV.

The IL Vehicle Code defines an all-terrain vehicle as any motorized off-highway device designed to travel primarily off-highway, 50 inches or less in width, having a manufacturer's dry weight of 1,500 pounds or less, traveling on 3 or more non-highway tires, designed with a seat or saddle for operator use, and handlebars or steering wheel for steering control, except equipment such as lawnmowers.

The IL Vehicle Code defines a recreational off-highway vehicle as any motorized off-highway device designed to travel primarily off-highway, 64 inches or less in width, having a manufacturer's dry weight of 2,000 pounds or less, traveling on 4 or more non-highway tires, designed with a non-straddle seat and a steering wheel for steering control, except equipment such as lawnmowers. (Source: P.A. 96-428, eff. 8-13-09.) Illinois 625ILCS S/1-101.8, 625 ILCS 5/1-168.8
Is there an application deadline when I must apply?
Yes. There is an annual application deadline of March 1. The Department may also establish interim application dates.
How can I receive more information on the OHV grant program?
By contacting IDNR's Division of Grant Administration, One Natural Resources Way, Springfield, IL 62702-1271. The telephone number is 217-782-7481, or visit our Off-Highway Vehicle Grant Program page.
The IL DNR receives federal financial assistance and therefore must comply with federal anti-discrimination laws. IDNR does not discriminate on the basis of sex, color, race, religion, national origin, age, disability or other non-merit factors including but not limited to sexual orientation, marital or parental status and/or physical stature. If you feel that you have been discriminated against in any program, activity or facility, please contact the EEO officers at 217-782-2662. TYY 217-782-9175.


  • Public Access stickers are required on ALL OHV's operated on these sites. ​