Due to COVID-19 and narrow trails, entry into Volo Bog is with a guide only. Guided one-hour tours of Volo Bog are held MOST Saturdays and Sundays at 11 am & 1 pm for individuals, families, and small groups. Groups of 7 - 14 can make arrangements for a private group tour by phoning 815-344-1294.
Volo Bog State Natural Area offers year-round programs for individuals and small groups. A weekly update of public programs is emailed by request - contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us your name and phone number too.
Our interpretive programs include:
- Bird Walks once or twice monthly
- Of Bogs & Books - a monthly book discussion on the Second Saturday
- Astronomy Nights hosted by Lake County Astronomical Society are held remotely during COVID-19
- An assortment of Nature Hikes such as Walks with a Naturalist, Animal Tracking, Signs of Spring, Seasonal Botany Classes, Insect Safaris and Fall Color Walks. COVID-19 restrictions affect some programs.
- Seasonal Events can be found on our Events tab
Seventeen different Youth Programs.pdf are offered for groups of 10 or more. School classes, youth groups, home school families, or simply a group of friends, can arrange for a program. Many of the youth programs can be adapted to adult groups as well. All registration is by phone at 815-344-1294.
Volunteer Opportunities include bog naturalists, docents, habitat restoration, bluebird monitoring, native gardening, veterans conservation corps and more. Here's our application.
Volo Bog State Natural Area's programs and activities are supported by our Friends of Volo Bog, a 501(c)(3) membership organization. We'd love to have you join them to support our State Natural Area.
Cross-country Skiing is welcome on Tamarack View Trail (2.8 mi), Deerpath Trail (1.1 mi) & Prairie Ridge Trail (0.9 mi). All are loops.
Deer Archery Hunting at Volo Bog State Natural Area is held in the fall. Applications become available sometime in July and a lottery drawing is held in late Summer. Here is the Hunter Fact Sheet and Application for Volo Bog SNA and Moraine Hills State Park. Those drawn will be assigned dates and locations and provided with details.