This site was originally a coal mining site that dates to 1927 when the Truax-Traer Coal Company began operations. Truax-Traer began using the name “Burning Star” as a trade name and was used by the previous owners, CONSOL Mining Company, who acquired most of the Burning Star property in 1962. The coal production ceased in 1989 and the mine closed in 1992 and final reclamation started soon thereafter.
Burning Star contains a wide variety of plants both woody and herbaceous. However, most of the area has been impacted by human disturbance including mining, logging, and agricultural production. The site contains six types of land, Cropland consisting of 36 individual fields from 3-140 acres each, Forests with a total of approximately 1,524 acres, Scrub / shrubland totaling approximately 795 acres, Grassland with a total of approximately 284 acres, Wetland with a total of approximately 164 acres and Lakes and Open Water, consisting of 24 lakes and ponds, totaling approximately 551.5 acres in water.
When complete the site will offer opportunities for the public to enjoy diversified outdoor recreation including, hunting for upland, forest game and migratory waterfowl and furbearer trapping, sportfishing both boating and shore-based, general recreation activities including day use, trails, wildlife viewing, boating, canoeing or kayaking.