2020 Hunting Season Updates:
- Blinds will be allocated on a first come first served basis.
- Hunters must self check in/out at the boat launch and pick up a waterfowl harvest card.
- Harvest Cards are to be deposited at the check in/out station at the end of their hunt.
- Detailed instructions are provided at self check in/out station.
- There will be no standby permit sales this year.
- There will be no drawing for hunt areas.
- Hunters who received a Heidecke deer tag from the state lottery will receive instructions, parking lot windshield card, and field assignment in the mail prior to the start of the season.Hunters will need to sign in/out and report their harvest at the self-check in/out station at the Visitor Center.
There will be detailed instructions and literature at the self-check in/out station at the Visitor Center.
Heidecke Lake opens each year on April 1st, weather permitting, and closes 10 days before waterfowl season opens. Goose Lake Prairie Visitor Center may be closed on weekends due to staffing; please call to verify hours of operation.
Located southeast of Morris, Heidecke Lake State Fish and Wildlife Area is managed by the Department of Natural Resources for fishing and hunting. DNR has leased Heidecke Lake since 1978, when it was built as a cooling lake for the Collins Power Plant, which now is owned and operated by Midwest Generation. The lake provides more than 1,300 acres of prime fishing opportunities.