UPDATE: As of May 1st, the following areas are OPEN:
- Shower house located on the west side is open with flush toilets and handwashing sinks; showers remain closed.
- All boat ramps are open.
- Fishing is permitted both from boat and bank.
- Spillway area is also open for fishing only.
- Hiking and Biking trail on the island is open.
The following areas are CLOSED:
- Site office is closed to the public, but office personnel will be available to answer information phone call on a limited basis.
- All shelters and playgrounds are closed.
- Campgrounds are closed to camping but open for walking or biking
As you explore the Horseshoe Lake State Fish & Wildlife Area, you may be reminded of the Deep South. The charm of bald cypress, tupelo gum, swamp cottonwood trees and wild lotus makes the recreational activities at the site even more enjoyable.
Located in Alexander County just east of Illinois Route 3, 7 miles north of Cairo, the 10,200 acre area includes a 2,400 acre shallow lake. In addition to taking in the beauty of the natural features of the area, visitors enjoy picnicking, camping, boating, fishing and hunting.
- While groups of 25 or more are welcome and encouraged to use the park's facilities, they are required to register in advance with the site office to avoid crowding or scheduling conflicts.
- At least one responsible adult must accompany each group of 15 minors.
- Pets must be kept on leashes at all times.
- Actions by nature can result in closed roads and other facilities. Please call ahead to the park office before you make your trip.
We hope you enjoy your stay. Remember, take only memories, leave only footprints.