Please be aware of the following information:
- Matthiessen Dells area and Vermillion River Area typically shutdown on weekends May through October when they have reached full capacity (parking lots are full) around 10 a.m. and will not reopen again until 3 p.m.
- Playgrounds and picnic shelters are first come, first served and can only take a maximum of 50 people and face masks must be worn if social distancing cannot be obtained.
- Please practice social distancing at all times. Masks must be worn inside of the public restrooms and buildings if you are not vaccinated.
- NO SWIMMING in park waterfalls, waterfall pools, Matthiessen Lake, or the Vermillion River.
- Rock climbing is not allowed anywhere in the park.
Trails and Trail Map
Canyons, streams, prairie and forest combine to delight visitors at Matthiessen State Park. Located in central LaSalle County, approximately 4 miles south of Utica and 3 miles east of Oglesby, Matthiessen is a paradise for those interested in geology, as well as recreation. Visitors can expect to see beautiful rock formations in addition to unusual and abundant vegetation and wildlife. All of this, along with park and picnic facilities, make Matthiessen State Park a popular choice for an outing.
Matthiessen Trail Map 2.pdf