Closures (CWD Firearm Season) Signs will be posted.
January 15th - January 17th, 2021.
Matthiessen Nature Preserve
Starved Rock Nature Preserve
Sandy Ford Nature Preserve
Mitchells Grove Nature Preserve
Marjory C. Carlson Nature Preserve
- This year, due to COVID restrictions and social distancing requirements, a random drawing has already been completed to determine each permit holder's SITE HUNTING LOT for Starved Rock and Matthiessen State parks.
- We are asking that you social distance from other hunters, wear a mask when not able to social distance, and be respectful of all around you.
Please be aware of the following information:
- Matthiessen Dells area and Vermillion River Area typically shutdown on weekends when they have reached full capacity (parking lots are full) around 10 a.m. and will not reopen again until 3 p.m.
- Playgrounds and picnic shelters are first come, first served and can only take a maximum of 50 people and face masks must be worn if social distancing cannot be obtained.
- All horseback trails are now open but for the Switchback trail between the Dells and VRA areas which is indefinitely closed due to wash out and hazardous trail conditions. Trails will remain open until Monday, November 9th, 2020.
- Please practice social distancing at all times. Masks must be worn inside of the public restrooms, buildings, and on trails when social distancing cannot be maintained or passing others on staircases and trails.
Trails and Trail Map
Canyons, streams, prairie and forest combine to delight visitors at Matthiessen State Park. Located in central LaSalle County, approximately 4 miles south of Utica and 3 miles east of Oglesby, Matthiessen is a paradise for those interested in geology, as well as recreation. Visitors can expect to see beautiful rock formations in addition to unusual and abundant vegetation and wildlife. All of this, along with park and picnic facilities, make Matthiessen State Park a popular choice for an outing.
Matthiessen Trail Map 2.pdf