Open Monday through Sunday from 9 - 4
Situated along the scenic Illinois River, the Starved Rock Visitor Center should be the first stop when visiting the park. Once inside the visitior center, visitors can view museum quality exhibits and displays detailing the park's history, geology, and ecology.
Hours of Operation
- 9:00 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Sunday.
- Election Day
- Veterans Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Day after Thanksgiving
- Christmas Day
- New Years Day
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- Presidents Day
The visitor center offers a little bit of something for everyone!
- Junior Ranger Program, please view INTERPRETIVE tab on this page.
- Scouts, please view the INTERPRETIVE tab on this page.
- Educators and groups of 10 or more people can speak with Lisa Sons W-Su from 9-4 at the visitor center to schedule a guided tour or custom program. Further information can be found under the INTERPRETIVE tab on this page.
Movies by Request
- In the Shadow of the Rock (history) 15 minutes
- Orienation to Starved Rock 9 minutes
- Smoky the Bear and Friends (cartoon for kids) 9 minutes
- Civilian Conservation Corps (history of the CCC at the park) 15 minutes
- On the Wings of the Wind (bald eagle film) 15 minutes
Trail Maps and Park Information
Park staff and volunteers will be on hand to explain the trail system, trail suggestions, and park information. Trail maps are available both inside of the visitor center at the front desk and outside of the visitor center by both the front and back doors. Large scale maps are available at every trail intersection and parking lot.
Further park information and tourism brochures can also be found inside of the visitor center on the information kiosk located across from the front desk.
Le Rocher Gift Shop
Open: Most days when volunteers are present from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
The Le Rocher Gift Shop is quite special and unique because it is operated and owned by the Starved Rock Foundation which is the non for profit friends group of the state park. All proceeds from the gift shop (and only this gift shop on site) stay in the park to help purchase park supplies, park programs, and support park events, displays, and exhibits!
Teachers get a 10% discount on all purchases when they show their school identification card at the register.
Would you like to learn more about the Starved Rock Foundation? Become a member today to help support the park!
Starved Rock Foundation Volunteer Membership Application.pdf