The federal "Recreational Trails Program" (RTP), was created through the National Recreational Trail Fund Act (NRTFA) as part of the Intermodal Surface Transportation Efficiency Act of 1991 (ISTEA) and re-authorized by the Safe, Accountable, Flexible, Efficient Transportation Equity Act: A Legacy for Users (SAFETEA-LU). This program provides funding assistance for acquisition, development, rehabilitation and maintenance of both motorized and non-motorized recreation trails. By law, 30% of each states' RTP funding must be earmarked for motorized trail projects, 30% for non-motorized trail projects and the remaining 40% for multi-use (diversified) motorized and non-motorized trails or a combination of either.
The RTP program can provide up to 80% federal funding on approved projects and requires a minimum 20% non-federal funding match. Applications for grant assistance must be received by IDNR no later than March 1 of each calendar year. Awards are generally announced within 180 days following the application deadline date.
Examples of eligible project activities include:
- trail construction and rehabilitation
- restoration of areas adjacent to trails damaged by unauthorized trail uses
- construction of trail-related support facilities and amenities
- acquisition from willing sellers of trail corridors through easements or fee simple title.
Grant assistance from this program cannot be used for the following purposes:
- condemnation of any kind of interest in property;
- construction of any motorized use trail on U.S. Forest Service lands designated as wilderness or currently not authorized for such use by an approved management plan; or
- upgrading, expanding or otherwise facilitating motorized use or access to trails predominantly used by non-motorized trail users, and on which, as of May 1, 1991, motorized use is either prohibited or has not occurred.
IMPORTANT: ALL applicants must be registered with GATA prior to the application deadline date. For more information on this process, please look here.
CURRENT YEAR MANUAL AND FORMS:
PRIOR YEAR MANUALS AND FORMS:
2020 RTP GATA Uniform Budget Template 2019.pdf
Uniform Budget Template Instructions.pdf