Schoolyard Habitat Action Grant Helpful Hints
Are you ready to submit your Schoolyard Habitat Action Grant application to the Illinois Department of Natural Resources? Before you do so, take a few moments to ensure that everything is complete. Review the following points.
- Schools, nature centers and youth groups may apply. Acceptable grade levels of the students involved in the project are prekindergarten through 12.
- Please include color photographs of the intended work site on the original version and all copies of the application form. The photos should be from ground level. Please do not submit aerial photos. Printed versions of digital photographs are fine.
- Incomplete applications will be disqualified. Make sure that you have completed every blank, answered all of the questions, included all of the attachments and enclosed all of the required copies. If you do not include the question with each answer to the narrative questions, your application will be disqualified.
- If you would like for your application package to be reviewed for common errors that result in disqualification, you must submit it by October 31, 2019. You will be contacted by email as to whether or not your application will be accepted or will require changes to avoid disqualification. Any needed changes must be made and sent to the Illinois Department of Natural Resources' Division of Education by November 30, 2019. The preliminary review process is voluntary. The final application deadline is November 30, 2019.
- Winning applicants will be reimbursed only for those expenses approved by the judging committee.
- Make sure that you enclose the original application plus three copies of the entire application, including attachments. Please collate and staple the original application and copies.
- Please ensure that both signatures are obtained for the signature page.
- All applicants must complete and submit a W-9 form. This form must represent a school or organization, not an individual. Do not use a tax exemption number on this form. Using the tax exemption number will cause your application to be disqualified. You must use the school's or organization's employer identification number (FEIN) that is assigned by the Internal Revenue Service.
- Remember to type the question and its associated number along with your answer for the narrative section of the grant application. If you do not include the question with each answer to the narrative questions, your application will be disqualified.
- Please use the budget form that is included as part of the application. Do not type a separate budget form to answer question 9. Make sure that you are using a recent version of Adobe Acrobat. If you are using an old version, the budget form may not work.
- The maximum award per application is $1,000. Any requests for funds exceeding $1,000 must be part of the matching funds provided by your school or organization.
- We suggest that you watch the video podcasts and read the other supplemental information on the Schoolyard Habitat Action Grant Web page to assist you in the application process. If you have questions that are not answered by this Web page, please contact the IDNR Division of Education at firstname.lastname@example.org or 217-524-4126.
Submitting an application does not guarantee that you will receive funding. By applying for the grant, you agree to accept the rules as stated in the instructions and on the application form. Applications are reviewed by a committee and awards made by approximately February 1. Additional details will be provided to successful grant applicants.