Coffeen Lake State Fish and Wildlife Area
The Illinois Department of Natural Resources is responsible for providing outdoor recreation opportunities for the residents of this state and is particularly concerned with providing adequate hunting areas on public lands. Mangement activities including, but not limited to prescribed burning and herbicide treatments may occur on site at any time.
Location: Two (2) miles southwest of Coffeen, Illinois, in Montgomery County.
Surrounding an 1,100 acre lake, Coffeen Lake SFWA offers a little of everything. Deer and turkey hunting in the 1,800 acres of woodland or upland hunting on the 430 acre Upland Management Area.
|Squirrel1, 2||Closed during firearm deer seasons||1/2 hour before sunrise to 1/2 after sunset|
|Dove3||Sept. 1-30||Sept. 1-5 Sunrise to 11:30am|
Sept. 6-30 Statewide hours
|Deer (Archery)1, 4||Statewide Regulations||1/2 hour before sunrise to 1/2 after sunset|
|Deer (Youth Firearm)1, 4||Statewide Regulations||1/2 hour before sunrise to 1/2 after sunset|
|Deer (Firearm)1||Statewide Regulations w/Springfield issued permit||1/2 hour before sunrise to 1/2 after sunset|
|Turkey (Spring)1||Statewide Regulations w/site specific permit||1/2 hour before sunrise to 1pm|
|Turkey (Spring Youth)1||Statewide Regulations||1/2 hour before sunrise to 1pm|
|Turkey (Fall archery)1, 4||Statewide Regulations||1/2 hour before sunrise to 1/2 after sunset|
|Coyote1, 2||Nov. 10 to Feb. 15||Statewide Regulations|
|Furbearer Trapping1||Nov. 10 to Feb. 15||Statewide Regulations|
Closed during firearm deer season
|1/2 hour before sunrise to 1pm|
|Early Teal & Goose5,6||Statewide Regulations||Legal open to 9am|
|Youth Waterfowl5||Weekend before Central Zone opening day||1/2 before sunrise to 1pm|
|Upland Game2, 7||Wednesdays from Nov 2 to Jan 15 |
Rabbits: Wednesdays from Nov 2 to Feb 15
|Sunrise to Sunset|
- Windshield cards are required for these species. These are available online at www2.illinois.gov/dnr. Failure to report harvest will result in loss of hunting privileges at the Site the following year.
- Site-specific Free Upland Game Permit issued from Springfield required. Squirrels-shotgun only. Coyote-bow/arrow or shotgun if hunter possesses an unfilled firearm deer permit.
- If more hunters are present than can be accommodated, a drawing will be held one hour before sunrise. All hunters must be present for registration and drawing and are required to check in and out of the Main Office. ONLY NON-TOXIC SHOT, No. 6 steel shot or No. 7 ½ bismuth shot or smaller is allowed. Harvested doves must be kept in separate bags by each hunter. All hunting will be done from staked locations and hunters must stay within 10ft of their stake. No cleaning of doves is permitted on the site.
- Upland Management Area is closed during youth firearm season to allow for youth deer hunting.
- Waterfowl hunters must sign-in and out (by 2pm) at the North Access. Hunting must be done from staked sites only. No permanent blinds allowed. Boat access only, 25 hp motor limit. No cutting of vegetation on site. Four (4) hunters allowed per blind. No waterfowl hunting allowed during the firearm deer seasons.
- All hunters must be checked out at sign-in box by 10 a.m. Hunting allowed from blinds 8 and 9 only.
- Hunting is restricted to the Upland Management Area. Each permit holder is allowed three (3) hunting partners. After close of quail and pheasant season, permits are for rabbits only. Statewide regulations will apply except, there is a limit of four quail per hunter.
- It is the hunter's responsibility to remove all refuse from the hunting area once they have finished hunting.
- All hunters must possess and display on dash of vehicle a site permit while hunting. Any tree stand must be portable and must be removed at the end of each day. No stands or steps that pierce the bark of the tree are allowed.
- When hunting or scouting, ALL VEHICLES MUST BE PARKED AT DESIGNATED AREAS (no ATV access).
- It is unlawful for any person to consume an alcoholic beverage while on site property if hunting or trapping. Any person who violates site-specific regulations shall be guilty of a Class B Misdemeanor.
- Management activities including, but not limited to prescribed burning and herbicide treatments may occur on site at any time.
FOR MORE INFORMATION, CONTACT: Coffeen Lake State Fish and Wildlife Area, P.O. Box 517, Coffeen, Illinois 62017. Telephone: (217) 537-3351.
Equal opportunity to participate in programs of
the Illinois Department of Natural Resources (IDNR) and
those funded by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and
other agencies is available to all individuals
regardless of race, sex, national origin, disability,
age, religion, or other non-merit factors. If you
believe you have been discriminated against, contact the
funding source’s civil rights office and/or the Equal
Employment Opportunity Officer, IDNR, One Natural
Resources Way, Springfield, IL 62702; (217)785-0067; TTY