NAME: Deer Pond State Natural Area (Satellite of Ferne Clyffe State Park)
LOCATION: North of Old Route 146 between Vienna and West Vienna
DESCRIPTION: Total Acres: 251, Huntable Acres: 190, bottomland hardwood and tree plantations.
MOST PREVALENT GAME SPECIES: Deer, Raccoon, Squirrel, Wild Turkey
- All hunters must SIGN IN and OUT and report harvest each day at the registration boxes before leaving the site.
- It is illegal to construct or use any tree stand or tree climbing equipment; using nails, screws or any device which pierces or cuts the bark of the tree on which it is installed or used. Tree stands that are used for hunting deer must be legibly marked with the owner's name, address, and telephone number when left unattended. Tree stands may be left unattended from Sept. 15 - Jan 31. Only one tree stand per hunter.
- It is unlawful to drive deer, or participate in a deer drive, on all Department
owned or managed properties during all deer seasons.
- It is unlawful to use or occupy a ground blind during any firearm deer season on public land unless at least 400 square inches of solid vivid blaze orange material is securely attached to the uppermost portion of the blind and a substantial amount of orange is visible for 360 degrees.
- No permanent blinds or pits may be dug or constructed. All blinds must be portable or established with natural vegetation and must be removed or dismantled at the end of each day's hunt. Cutting of live vegetation on the area is illegal.
- On all DNR sites during pheasant, rabbit, quail, and partridge season, hunters and trappers are required to wear a cap and upper outer garment of solid and vivid blaze orange of at least 400 square inches while trapping or hunting pheasant, quail, Hungarian partridge, rabbit, snipe, rail, and woodcock.
- Hunting will be allowed only in designated areas. Hunting is allowed only in the Natural Area. No hunting is allowed on the Restricted Area (access lane) or in the Nature Preserve area. In addition, it is illegal to enter a Nature Preserve with a weapon in your possession (see above map link for details).
- All motorized vehicles must remain on roads or parking area. This is a walk-in hunting area - no ATV's or bicycles are allowed. Person-pulled carts can be used.
- Trappers must obtain a permit from the Ferne Clyffe State Park office prior to setting traps. Only Egg traps, D-P (dog proof) traps, box traps or traps of similar design may be used for land sets.
- No crow hunting is allowed on this area.
For further information, contact: Site Superintendent, Ferne Clyffe State Park, P.O. Box 10, Goreville, IL
62939; Phone (618) 995-2411