Location: Carroll County, 1.5 miles east of Thomson - 2911 Scenic Bluff
Road, Thomson, IL 61285
Description: Total Acres: 344, predominately timber.
Huntable Acres 342.
The area is Mississippi River Bluff topography
characterized by steep hillsides, ridge tops and terrace benches. The area is
almost entirely forested with Black Walnut, Black Oak. Red Oak, White Oak,
Hackberry, Black Cherry and Mixed Elm the dominate tree species. There are
several cedar thickets on the west and south sides of the site. The site is
bordered on all four sides by private lands with mixed grain farming, and
privately managed woodlands as the dominate land uses. Johnson Creek drains
close to but does not bisect the site. This site is owned and managed by
the Illinois Department of Natural Resources. Management activities on this
site may occur throughout the year, including the hunting seasons.
Available Game Species:
Closed during firearm deer seasons.
Closed during firearm and muzzleloading deer seasons.
Turkey (Fall Archery)
Closed during firearm and muzzleloading deer
Quota of 8 hunters per season.
2nd portion of muzzleloader season.
Quota of 8 hunters.
Quota of 8 hunters.
Quota of 8 hunters per season. No youth turkey.
General Area Regulations:
- Think safety first! You should be aware that
hikers and other non-hunters may be in the area.
- All statewide regulations apply.
- Hunters must obtain a Windshield Card online at
the IDNR website at dnr2.illinois.gov/windshieldcard/ . This card must displayed and
visible under the vehicle windshield and the pocket portion in your possession
while hunting at the site. Hunters must report their Windshield Card
annual harvest online by February 15 (even if the hunter did not hunt) or they
forfeit their hunting privileges at the site for the following year.
- In addition to Windshield Card reporting, successful deer and
turkey hunters are required to record their harvest as instructed on their
- Hunting is restricted to those portions of the area posted as
open hunting, which excludes the hunter parking area. You may
not possess an uncased bow or loaded/uncased firearm outside of the posted
- Hunters must park in the designated parking lot. Do not
block access to fields or gates.
- It shall be unlawful to construct or to use any tree stand that
utilizes nails, screws, wire or any device which pierces or cuts the bark
of the tree on which it is installed. Only one tree stand or blind
is allowed per hunter. Tree stands or blinds may be left unattended from
September 15 - January 31 if legibly marked with the owner's name,
address, and telephone number.
- It shall be unlawful for any person to possess or to consume beer,
wine, or intoxicating liquors while hunting on the area.
- You may not enter a restricted area or trespass on private land
for any reason without first notifying the park
staff or the appropriate landowner.
- Only permitted hunters are allowed in the area during deer firearm
seasons and until 1:00 PM during the turkey firearm seasons.
Spring Turkey Hunting Site Regulations:
- All spring turkey hunters must obtain a Special Hunt Area permit,
which will be issued through the Permit Office in
Springfield. Permits valid for Carroll Co. will not be valid at
French Bluff Natural Area.
Deer Hunting Site Regulations:
- All firearm deer hunters must obtain a Special Hunt
Area permit, which will be issued through the Permit Office in
Springfield. Permits valid for Carroll Co. will not be valid at French
Bluff Natural Area.
- No standby permits available.
- Hunting is allowed with any type of weapon that is legal for
statewide deer hunting during the specific season you are hunting.
- A French Bluff muzzleloaderpermit is not valid for the second
season of the regular firearm deer season.
- Stand by permits will not be issued for special CWD season. Left
over permits cannot be used.
Squirrel Hunting Regulations
- Shotguns #3 or smaller for steel shot, #5 or smaller for lead,
tungsten or bismuth shot. 22 rimfire rifles, .25 air
rifles, muzzleloading rifles and archery tackle using flu-flu arrows
are permitted for taking squirrels.
For further information contact: Mississippi
Palisades State Park, 16327A IL Rte 84, Savanna, IL 61074
Phone: (815) 273-2731