Green River - Deer and Fall Turkey
Location: 13 Miles south of Dixon on Rt. 26 - 3 miles west of Rt. 26 on Maytown Road.
Description: Total area - 2,565 acres. Huntable Acres - 2,515. The area is one of gently rolling topography. Much of the area consists of slough, pines, cultivated fields, grasslands, and wetlands.
Active habitat management will be occurring throughout the year on the site.
|Species||Season ||Hours||Limits||Special Area Regulations|
|Archery Deer & Turkey||Statewide||Statewide||Statewide||See #1, 3, 8|
|Youth Firearm Deer||Statewide||Statewide||Statewide||See #1, 4, 7, 8|
|Firearm Deer||Statewide||Statewide||Statewide||See #1, 2, 4, 5, 8|
|CWD||Statewide||Statewide||Statewide||See #1, 4, 6, 8|
All regulations found in the Illinois Wildlife Code, Federal Regulations, and Administrative Rules will apply unless area regulations are more restrictive.
Archery and CWD deer hunters and Fall Turkey hunters must obtain a Site Windshield Card Online. Complete all fields as necessary and print the Windshield Card and accompanying pocket card. Your windshield card must be displayed under the vehicle windshield, face up, with the permit number visible and the pocket card portion in your possession while hunting at the site. Hunters must report their annual harvest online (even if they did not hunt) by February 15. Hunters shall forfeit their hunting privileges at the site for the following year if they fail to report by the prescribed deadline.
Special Area Regulations:
- Firearm deer hunters are required to sign in prior to hunting and to check out and report harvest immediately after the conclusion of the hunt at the hunter check station. Deer must also be checked in/reported by phone as outlined in the statewide rules & regulations for reporting deer harvested. Be sure to report it as taken on a special hunt area (Green River SWA) and not as harvested in Lee County. Other hunters are not required to sign in/out of the site daily but must report their visits and harvest via the windshield card reporting system instead.
- Hunting allowed by site specific permits issued by the Springfield Permit Office. Permit holders must check in by 5:00 AM or their permit is invalid for that day. Vacancies after 5:00 AM will be filled by a drawing for stand-by permits. Stand-by permits are valid for that day only, are site specific for Green River; and are $5.00 each. No other deer permits are required. Non-resident stand-by deer hunters are required to have a non-resident hunting license and a habitat stamp.
- Closed during firearm deer season. Open during the statewide muzzleloader deer season. During muzzleloader season hunters are required to wear the same blaze orange clothing as that required for muzzleloader deer hunters.
- All hunters are required to wear a cap and upper outer garment of solid and vivid blaze orange of at least 400 sq. inches.
- Hunters must remain in assigned area for at least the first hour of hunting.
- Hunters are required to possess a county specific deer permit (Lee County) or an unfilled Springfield issued Green River SWA 1st or 2nd season firearm permit can be used in the CWD antlerless season..
- Must have a valid Lee County Youth Deer Permit issued by the IDNR permit office; youth hunters must be accompanied by a non-hunting parent, guardian, or responsible adult who has in his or her possession a valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card (FOID); both participants must wear the required blaze orange garments.
- Further restrictions may exist. See regulations posted at the site before hunting.
It Shall Be Unlawful:
- To construct a tree stand, or use any screw-in steps, spikes, cleats, ladder, climbing aids, etc. using nails, screws, wire, or any device which pierces or cuts the bark of any tree. Tree stands must be portable and may be left unattended from Sept. 15th through Jan. 31st. Stands left must be marked with the hunter's name, address, and phone number. Only one stand per person is allowed.
- To hunt in any area not designated as being open to hunting or to hunt off IDNR property.
- To park anywhere on the site except in the designated parking lots or for unauthorized vehicles to enter upon any trail.
- To use any other hunting device besides the legal devices allow as described in 17 Ill. Adm. Code, Section 650.30 a)
- For any person to consume any alcoholic beverage or illegal drugs or to be under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs while on the area for the purpose of hunting.
- To possess weapons in the field except during hunting hours.
- To engage in "driving" deer for the purpose of hunting on any IDNR site.
Other Activities / Facilities Available: Hiking, equestrian trails, camping, pavilion w/ electricity and grill.
For further information contact: Green River SWA; 375 Game Rd.; Harmon, IL 61042
Phone: (815) 379-2324
Equal opportunity to participate in programs of
the Illinois Department of Natural Resources (IDNR) and
those funded by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and
other agencies is available to all individuals
regardless of race, sex, national origin, disability,
age, religion, or other non-merit factors. If you
believe you have been discriminated against, contact the
funding source’s civil rights office and/or the Equal
Employment Opportunity Officer, IDNR, One Natural
Resources Way, Springfield, IL 62702; (217)785-0067; TTY