Location: Henry County - 6 miles north of Kewanee and 6 miles south of Interstate 80 on Illinois Highway 78 - 28616 Sauk Trail Road, Kewanee, IL 61443
Description: Total Acres 1,361. Huntable Acres: 862. Habitat types: Timber - 100 acres; brush - 100 acres; grass or cultivated acres - 650. The area is one of gently rolling topography. Much of the area consists of grassy areas interspersed with cultivated fields, brushy draws, and small woodlots. This area provides excellent hunting opportunity for the common game species found in northwestern Illinois.
Special Area Regulations
All regulations found in the Illinois Wildlife Code, Federal Regulations, and Administrative Rules will apply unless special area regulations are more restrictive.
All regulations found in the Illinois Wildlife Code, Federal Regulations, and Administrative Orders will apply unless area regulations are more restrictive. Hunters must obtain a free site windshield card online at https://dnr2.illinois.gov/windshieldcard/. Complete all fields as necessary and print Windshield Card and Accompanying pocket card. Your windshield card must be displayed under the vehicle windshield, face up, with the windshield card number visible and the pocket card in your possession while hunting at the site. Hunters must report their annual harvest online (even if you did not hunt) by February 15th of the following year. Hunters shall forfeit their hunting privileges at the site for the following year if they fail to report by the prescribed deadline.
Special Area Regulations:
- All hunters must check in and out and report all kills at the sign-in box located at the parking lot kiosks. In addition, all turkeys harvested on this site must be checked in /reported via the statewide telephone reporting system as outlined on your turkey hunting permit. Be sure to report it as harvested on a special hunt area (Johnson-Sauk Trail SRA) and NOT as harvested in Henry County.
- All hunters must possess a site-specific turkey permit for Johnson Sauk State Recreation Area for the specific season they are hunting on the site. Permits are issued through the Springfield permit office. Hunters are encouraged to go to the site office and visit with the site staff.
- All statewide regulations as to weapon type, shot size, draw weight, arrow type, etc. apply on this site.
- Further restrictions may exist. See posted regulations before hunting.
IT Shall Be Unlawful:
- To park anywhere on the site except in the designated parking lots or for unauthorized vehicles to enter upon any trail.
- For any person to consume any alcoholic beverage or to be under the influence of alcohol or drugs while on the area for the purpose of hunting.
- To possess weapons in the field except during hunting hours.
Other Facilities / Activities Available: Camping, picnicking, hiking, fishing, boating, cross country skiing, snowmobiling.
For further information contact: Johnson-Sauk Trail State Recreation Area, 28616 Sauk Trail Road, Kewanee, IL 61443. Phone: 309-853-2425.