Ramsey Lake State Park is located 1 mile north and 1 mile west of Route 51 from Ramsey, IL. The area has steeply rolling topography which integrates out to gently rolling uplands. Crop fields and food plots are planted for winter food and cover.
Small crop fields, brushy draws, and briar thickets provide the flavor which hunters prefer. Mature oak-hickory forests provide for excellent squirrel hunting. Hunting is ONLY allowed between Lake Circle Drive and Park Outer Boundaries. Management activites including, but not limited to prescribed burning and herbicide treatments may occur on site at any time. Mangement activities including, but not limited to prescribed burning and herbicide treatments may occur on site at any time.
1/2 hour before Sunrise to 1/2 hour after Sunset
Sept. 1-5: Sunrise to 11:30am; Sept. 6-30: Statewide Hours
½ hour before Sunrise to ½ hour after Sunset
Open during all firearm deer seasons
|Turkey (Fall Archery)1, 4||Statewide Regulations||Statewide Hunting Hours||Statewide Regulations|
1/2 hour before sunrise to 1 PM; Site specific permit required
Rabbit & Quail 3, 4, 5
Sunrise to Sunset
(Wednesday by Springfield issued permit only)
Statewide Hunting Hours; Site specific permit required;
Shotgun or bow and arrow only
Statewide Trapping Hours; Site specific permit required and will be allocated by a special drawing held the last Friday in October. Registration begins at 7:30am and the drawing at 8:00am
|Woodcock, Rail, Snipe1||Statewide Regulations|
Statewide Hunting Hours until Rabbit Season Begins, then 8 – 4 p.m.
- Windshield cards are required to hunt all species except dove. These windshield cards are available online at www.dnr.illinois.gov. Navigate to "hunting/trapping": and then "public hunting areas" to print these permits. Hunters will be required to return to this website prior to February 15th each year to record harvest information.
- Check in Time: Dove: 1.5 – 1.0 hours before sunrise. Daily Hunter Quota: Dove – 30 hunters. A daily drawing will be conducted for any standby hunters if the daily hunter quota has not been met at the conclusion of the check-in period. No further drawings will occur after daily quota has been reached with standby hunters. All dove hunting will be done from staked locations. Hunters must stay within 10 feet of the assigned stake. Dove hunters will be required to wear a back patch while hunting. Harvested doves and/or upland game must be kept in separate by each hunter. No cleaning of doves or upland game is permitted on site. Hunters are not allowed to leave the property without first checking out when hunting dove.
- Shotgun Only: Upland Game – shot size #5 or smaller only. Dove – ONLY NON TOXIC SHOT, No. 6 steel shot or No. 7 ½ bismuth shot or smaller is allowed.
- BLAZE ORANGE cap or hat and vest must be worn while upland game hunting. BLAZE ORANGE must be worn by all hunters (specifically archery deer hunters) in the woods during all firearm deer seasons.
- Upland Game hunters may hunt rabbits & quail by permit only on Wednesday. Upland permits issued after the close of quail season are for rabbits only.
- Archery deer hunters are not allowed to leave a deer stand on the site unattended.
- When hunting and/or scouting, ALL VEHICLES MUST BE PARKED IN DESIGNATED AREAS AND DISPLAY WINDSHIELD CARD (no ATV access).
- Only one tree stand or ground blind is allowed per deer permit holder. Tree stands and ground blinds must comply with restrictions listed in 17 Ill. Adm. Code 510.10(c)(3) and (c)(12) and must be portable. Tree stands and ground blinds may be left unattended from September 15 through January 31 at this site. Any tree stand or ground blind left unattended must be legibly marked with the owner's name, address, and telephone number, or site assigned identification number.
For further information contact Site Superintendent, Ramsey Lake State Park, PO Box 97, Ramsey, IL 62080, phone: 618-423-2215