Location: This site is located 3 miles northwest of Carrier Mills, 5 miles west of Harrisburg. Route 13 west from Harrisburg, south on Carrier Mills blacktop, west on Town Park Road.
Description: Sahara Woods encompasses approximately 4,100 acres. The area was a former surface mine which consists of spoil ridges interspersed with timber, grasslands, small ponds and a large lake.
Total Acres: 4,100; Lakes, Ponds, Wetlands: 275; Open, Non-cultivated: 2,300; Timber, Brushy Areas: 1,500
Available Species: Archery Deer; Dove; Quail; Pheasant; Rabbit; Squirrel; Turkey; Furbearers
- Hunters are advised that "windshield cards" are required to hunt all species available from the IDNR website. Navigate to "Hunting/Trapping", then "Public Hunting Areas", and select Region 5 to print these permits. ALL hunters are required to have a state hunting permit. Hunters are required to return to this website prior to February 15 to record harvest information. Failure to submit harvest data will result in loss of hunting privileges for the following year.
- All motorized vehicles must remain on roads or in access areas and park in designated areas or adjacent to roads.
- It is illegal to construct or use any tree stand using nails, screws or any device which pierces or cuts the bark of the tree which it was installed. Tree stands which are used for deer hunting must be removed from the area at the end of each day's hunt.
- Hunting is allowed only in those areas posted as open and as indicated on map.
- Spring firearm turkey hunters must apply for a site specific permit to hunt the area which is available from the permit office through the statewide lottery.
- All upland game hunters engaged in quail or rabbit hunting must wear a cap and upper outer garment of solid and vivid blaze orange of at least 400 square inches.
- Statewide regulations apply, unless otherwise specified.
For more information contact: Sahara Woods State Recreation Area, (618) 994-2022 or the Saline County SFWA, (618) 276-4405.