Starved Rock Land Waterfowl
Location: LaSalle county, 4 miles south of interstate 80, or 1 mile south of Utica, on Ill Routes 71 and 178.
Description: These two sites occupy 4,503 acres. Land based waterfowl hunting is only allowed in approximately 250 acres of the sites agricultural fields.
Special Area Regulations
* Site closes to all waterfowl hunting at the end of the regular statewide duck or Canada goose season, whichever is later (i.e. no late season snow goose season).
All regulations found in the Illinois Wildlife Code, Federal Regulations, and Administrative Rules will apply unless area regulations are more restrictive.
Special Area Regulations:
- No land based waterfowl hunting will be allowed until crops have been harvested & the IDNR stakes the blind locations.
- Season closed during all site firearm deer seasons.
- Closed to early goose season.
- Blind sites will be claimed on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- All waterfowl hunting will be within 10 feet of IDNR marked/staked blind sites. Portable blinds only.
- Sign in/out, and harvest reporting is required at the Matthiessen State Park check station. Each hunting party must display a parking pass on the dashboard of their vehicle while hunting. Hunters must return their parking pass an immediately report their hunting efforts/harvest on the sheets provided.
- All hunters must leave the area within one hour after the close of legal shooting hours. All hunter Items must be removed daily.
- All hunting parties shall hunt over a spread of at least 12 decoys.
- Park in open parking lots only. Only foot traffic allowed to blind site.
- No more than 3 hunters shall occupy a blind site at one time.
- No person shall move, for the purpose of waterfowl hunting, from one blind site to another unless said person has signed out of the first blind site and into the next blind site at the sign in sheet.
- No person shall claim or attempt to claim a blind site which is legally occupied and/or to harass in any manner the occupants of a blind site which is legally occupied.
- Hunters only at blind sites. No non-hunters allowed in the field.
It Shall Be Unlawful:
- For any person to consume any alcoholic beverage or illegal drugs or to be under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs while on the area for the purpose of hunting.
- For any person to alter the blind site from its original condition or destroy state property.
- To possess any shotgun shell loaded with a shot size larger than steel "T" OR "BBB" in other kinds of non-toxic shot while attempting to take waterfowl in Illinois.
For further information contact: Site Superintendent; Starved Rock State Park; Box 509; Utica, Il. 61373 Phone: 815/667-4726
Equal opportunity to participate in programs of
the Illinois Department of Natural Resources (IDNR) and
those funded by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and
other agencies is available to all individuals
regardless of race, sex, national origin, disability,
age, religion, or other non-merit factors. If you
believe you have been discriminated against, contact the
funding source’s civil rights office and/or the Equal
Employment Opportunity Officer, IDNR, One Natural
Resources Way, Springfield, IL 62702; (217)785-0067; TTY