Location: LaSalle County, 4 miles south of Interstate 80, or 1 mile south of Utica, on Ill. Routes 71 and 178.
Description: These sites occupy 4,503 acres. Approximately 4,000 acres are huntable. The sites consist of approximately 3,372 acres of woodlands, 210 acres of grasslands, and 671 acres of agricultural ground which contains both row crop and hay fields. The terrain can be very rugged in the wooded areas. There is no interior vehicle access for the public.
Special Area Regulations
|Archery Deer||Statewide||Statewide||Statewide||See #1, 2, 3, 6, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15|
|Archery Turkey||Statewide||Statewide||Statewide||See #1, 3, 4, 6, 11, 12, 14, 15|
|1st Firearm Deer Season||Statewide||Statewide||Statewide||See #1, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15|
|2nd Firearm Deer Season||Statewide||Statewide||Statewide||See #1, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15|
|Muzzleloader Deer Season||Statewide||Statewide||Statewide||See #1, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15|
|Special CWD Season||Statewide||Statewide||Statewide||See #1, 9 11, 12, 13, 15, 16|
All regulations found in the
Illinois Wildlife Code, Federal Regulations, and Administrative Orders will
apply unless area regulations are more restrictive.
- Zone A (Lots 18 - 21, 23 & 29) Archery only. Archery
hunting is allowed in Zone A during all deer firearm seasons.
- Antlerless deer only in October. Either sex from November
151 to the end of the season.
- Parking lots 3, 5, & 6 closed in October.
- Excludes the nature preserves and the Dells area as posted.
- Bonus Buck Program. First state issued permit will be for antlerless
deer only. After checking deer at the Matthiessen State Park check station, a
$5.00 permit may be issued for either sex. Check station closes at 6:00 pm.
- All archery hunters must check in and out at the Matthiessen
State Park check station prior to hunting. Lots 11 and 32 sign in
at lot 11. Lots 33 and 34 sign in at lot
34. The check station at Matthiessen
State Park will be manned during the Firearm & Muzzleloader seasons only.
- All firearm & muzzleloader hunters must have a site-specific
permit and are required to check in before 5:00 AM at the Matthiessen State
Park Check-Station. A drawing to allocate standby permits will be held at 5:30
am. Stand-by hunters will be allowed to enter the field after the drawing at
5:30 am & 12:00 pm.
- Standby permits are site specific for Starved Rock &
Matthiessen, are only valid for the day they are issued, and cost $5 each. No
other deer permits are required. A stand-by hunter may purchase up to two (2)
one-day only site-specific antlerless only permits each day.
- Unless exempt, all hunters will be required to furnish the
following on the morning of the hunt: valid FOID card, current hunting license,
and current habitat stamp. Non-resident hunters are required to have a
non-resident hunting license, and a current habitat stamp.
- Hunters who wish to change hunting areas must report to the
check station prior to moving.
- All firearm hunters are required to wear a cap and upper
outer garment of solid and vivid blaze orange of at least 400 square inches.
Archery hunters in ZONE A must wear blaze orange during all firearm seasons.
- Tree stands must be portable and must be tagged with the
hunter's name, address, and phone number. All stands, blinds and accessories
must be removed daily.
- All deer or turkey harvested must also be checked
in/reported as outlined in the statewide rules & regulations.
- All hunters MUST attend the safety talk before entering the
- Further restrictions or closures may exist at short notice.
See posted regulations before hunting.
- Special CWD season hunters must have a Starved Rock site-specific permit in order to hunt. Hunters are required to self check-in/out at
Matthiessen State Park. There will be no stand-by permits sold.
It Shall Be Unlawful:
- To construct or use any stand, climbing device or accessory
using nails, screws, or any device which pierces, cuts, or otherwise damages
the bark of the tree on
- which it is installed.
- To park or hunt in any area to which you have not been
assigned. To be off trails after hunting season.
- For unauthorized vehicles to enter upon any trail.
- To hunt with other than a shotgun, handgun or muzzleloader
during the firearm deer seasons, a muzzleloader during the muzzleloader deer
season, or a bow &
- arrow during archery deer season.
- For any person to consume any alcoholic beverage or illegal
drugs or to be under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs while on the
area for the purpose of
- To possess weapons in the field except during hunting hours
and while engaged in hunting.
- To remove deer antlers from any State Park, Nature Preserve
or Land & Water Preserve.
Other Activities / Facilities Available: Dining, lodge facilities.
For further information, contact: Site Superintendent; Starved Rock State Park; P.O. Box 509; Utica, IL 61373 Phone: 815/667-4726