**Starved Rock and Matthiessen State Parks and ALL TRAILS are CLOSED until further notice due to storm damage and hazardous trail conditions.**
Please be aware of the following information:
- Matthiessen Dells area and Vermillion River Area typically shutdown on weekends when they have reached full capacity (parking lots are full) around 10 a.m. and will not reopen again until 3 p.m.
- Picnic shelters are first come, first served and can only take a maximum of 50 people and face masks must be worn if social distancing cannot be obtained.
- Playgrounds are now open to the public with a maximum of 50 people at a time and face masks must be worn if social distancing cannot be obtained.
- Public Restrooms are open, including flush toilets.
- Horse campground is now open.
- All horseback trails are now open but for the Switchback trail between the Dells and VRA areas which is indefinitely closed due to wash out and hazardous trail conditions.
- Please practice social distancing at all times. Masks must be worn inside of the public restrooms, buildings, and on trails when social distancing cannot be maintained or passing others on staircases and trails.
Trails and Trail Map
Canyons, streams, prairie and forest combine to delight visitors at Matthiessen State Park. Located in central LaSalle County, approximately 4 miles south of Utica and 3 miles east of Oglesby, Matthiessen is a paradise for those interested in geology, as well as recreation. Visitors can expect to see beautiful rock formations in addition to unusual and abundant vegetation and wildlife. All of this, along with park and picnic facilities, make Matthiessen State Park a popular choice for an outing.
Matthiessen Trail Map 2.pdf