For information on Newton Lake, please call Red Hills State Park at 618-936-2469.
2021 Hunting Season Updates:
- 40 Newton Lake Firearm Deer Hunters have been selected through a Springfield Firearm Deer lottery system. These 40 hunters possess a site specific tag for Newton Lake SFWA.
daily drawing at site office to allocate hunter sections.
- Newton Lake staff will randomly draw hunters and place them in a designated section.
- Newton Lake Firearm Deer Hunters will be contacted with a letter, site map, site regulations and a harvest card to be filled out in put in drop box by office at the conclusion of 1st and 2nd firearm season.
- Hunters will remain in the same section for all 7 days of Firearm Deer Season.
- The Lake will be closed for the 7day firearm season.
- No Boats on the Lake.
- No hunting on island.
- No fishing during Firearm Deer Season.
For further question contact Newton Lake SFWA (618) 783-3478, or Red Hills SP (618) 936-2469.
In 1979, the Illinois Department of Natural Resources signed a lease with Central Illinois Public Service Company which designated the 1,775-acre Newton Lake and 540 acres of shoreline as a day use conservation area. By agreement, recreational activities at Newton Lake State Fish and Wildlife Area consist of fishing, picnicking, trail use and deer hunting.
Central Illinois Public Service Company constructed an electric power generating plant in Jasper County southwest of Newton. The Newton Plant was the most modern in the network of CIPS generating plants, fueled by coal and utilizing the latest developments in sulfur dioxide removal systems. When the two generators at the plant operate simultaneously a total generating capacity of approximately 1,180,000 kilowatts is produced.