PARK VISITOR GUIDELINES:
As of August 2021 MASKS are REQUIRED to enter any state park building such as the restrooms, Lodge, or Starved Rock Visitor Center regardless of vaccination status.
Note: The Visitor Center exhibit hall, park office, and information desk are open Monday through Sunday from 9-4.
Closed on Election Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving, day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Day, New Years Day, Martin Luther King Jr. Day, and Presidents Day.
Hunting closures this fall and winter:
Novemer 18-21 & December 1-5
November 19-21, December 2-5, & December 10-12
- Hennepin Canyon parking lot
November 19-21, December 2-5, December 30-January 2nd, & January 14-16
- Starved Rock Nature Preserve
- Margery C. Carlson Nature Preserve
- Mitchell's Grove Nature Preserve
- Sandy Ford Nature Preserve
- Matthiessen State Park
All Trails are Open, except for the following:
- Owl Canyon Overlook
- Tonti Canyon
- Tonti bridge
- Tonti trail from LaSalle Canyon
- Beehive Overlook
NOT ALLOWED FOR YOUR SAFETY, the SAFETY OF OTHERS, and the SAFETY OF THE SITE:
- No Swimming in park waterfalls, creeks, or the Illinois River.
- Rock Climbing/rappelling is not allowed anywhere in the park.
- Bicycles, scooters, skates, and skateboards are not allowed on the trails at Starved Rock State Park.
- Drones are not allowed at either park.
- Metal detecting is not allowed at either park.
- It is illegal to possess alcohol at either park.
- It is illegal to possess intoxicating substances at either park.
- It is illegal to go off trail or make new trails at either park. Please follow paved trails that are wider than two people and marked with posts, dots on trees, and maps at intersections.