PARK VISITOR GUIDELINES:
- Please practice social distancing at all times.
- Masks must be worn regardless of vaccination status when entering any park building including the restrooms.
- Parking lots typically fill and close by 11 a.m. May through October.
- PARKING ALONG ROADWAYS such as Route 71 and 178 is illegal and vehicles will be towed at the owners expense.
- Please follow Starved Rock and Matthiessen State Parks on Facebook for up to date information on parking closures and openings on busy weekends.
Note: The Visitor Center exhibit hall, park office, and information desk are open Monday through Sunday from 9-4.
Closed on Election Day, Thanksgiving, day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Day, New Years Day, Martin Luther King Jr. Day, and Presidents Day.
All Trails are Open, except for the following:
- Owl Canyon Overlook
- Tonti Canyon
- Tonti bridge
- Tonti trail from LaSalle Canyon
- Staircase from park's west entrance to lower area/boat ramp
NOT ALLOWED FOR YOUR SAFETY, the SAFETY OF OTHERS, and the SAFETY OF THE SITE:
No Swimming in park waterfalls, creeks, or the Illinois River.
Rock Climbing/rapelling is not allowed anywhere in the park.
Bicycles, scooters, skates, and skateboards are not allowed on the trails at Starved Rock State Park.
Drones are not allowed at either park.
Metal detecting is not allowed at either park.
It is illegal to possess alcohol at either park.
It is illegal to possess intoxicating substances at either park.
It is illegal to go off trail or make new trails at either park. Please follow paved trails that are wider than two people and marked with posts, dots on trees, and maps at intersections.