113 East Partridge Street
The Courthouse will be closed until further notice.
ANDROID USERS ONLY: The donation payment processing function in the Illinois History mobile application for Android devices is currently down. Donations are still being processed through the web site at
https://www2.illinois.gov/dnrhistoric/Experience/Sites/. We apologize for the inconvenience.
The Metamora Courthouse was built in 1845 and served as the center of county government until the county seat was moved to Eureka in 1896. It is one of two surviving courthouses on the historic Eighth Judicial Circuit traveled by Abraham Lincoln. In 1978 the Courthouse was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
The first floor of the two-story brick structure contains a central hall flanked by two exhibit rooms, one displaying artifacts of early local history, the other with exhibits describing the 1850s court system and Lincoln's life on the Eighth Judicial Circuit. On the second floor, the former courtroom and two small chambers are furnished to represent the era during which Lincoln practiced law.
Visitors may take guided tours of the building or view the rooms and exhibits on their own. A ten-minute video history of the building, which includes images and interpretation of the second floor, is available for viewing. The building’s first floor is accessible to persons with disabilities; the second floor is not.
Metamora Courthouse hosts an annual afternoon “Christmas in the Courthouse”(first Friday in December). Contact the site for details.
The following are available for the visitor to the site:
Metamora Courthouse State Historic Site has on street parking, there is no dedicated accessible parking. Access to the sidewalk is in front of the courthouse on the north side of the square. There is a concrete sidewalk leading to the rear of the courthouse where there is a handicap accessible entrance. Metamora Courthouse State Historic Site’s rear door is narrow and larger mobility devices may have difficulty entering. The first floor is accessible and audio-visual equipment allows for viewing of the courtroom on the second floor. Restrooms are accessible.