280 Washington Street, Old Shawneetown
A fine example of Greek Revival architecture, the Shawneetown Bank was constructed 1839-1841 to house the offices of the Bank of Illinois at Shawneetown. The Bank of Illinois suspended operations in 1843, but the building housed numerous financial institutions from 1854 to the 1930s. During the early nineteenth century, Shawneetown was an important commercial center as a major outlet for the state’s salt industry and as the location of a federal land office. The Shawneetown Bank was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1972.
The three-story building is constructed of brick, with limestone front façade, portico, and steps. The Shawneetown Bank is currently not available for tours.